Close
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Cars
    WRX
    Likes (Received)

Will the S-FR be Japan only?

Leaving aside that there may not be a huge market for this type of car here, I think the biggest hint that this will be a Japanese/Asia only car is the name.

No way they have a FR-S and a S-FR selling at the same time in the same market. It'll confuse the hell out of everyone. Non enthusiasts will be scratching their head wondering if they looked up the wrong car on the internet.

Even if they lost their minds and badged it a Toyota, the fact they sell it at same dealership will cause confusion.

What you guys think? Any chance this makes it to the US under a different name or are this being brought to the Japan market just to take on the likes of the Honda S660 roadster?

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    I will be GREATLY saddened and depressed if this doesn't come to the US!

Being that this is an ND miata sized vehicle and for a slightly different driver than that of the FR-S though...why wouldn't it come here?
    Maybe a name change would be a good thing though...it would be cool to have an actual 'name' name for the car... I think it has enough character for a catchy name...

Cars
    Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    If it's based of the MX-5 platform then there is no reason not to bring it to the U.S.

Cars
    Renaultsport Clio 200
    Likes (Received)
    Really hope it comes to the UK! Ideal for our small roads.

Cars
    2013 FR-S: Kosei K1 TS 17x7, OE camber bolts, Berk single-exit muffler delete
    Likes (Received)
    Plenty of manufacturers have a naming structure that's incredibly confusing to most people, let alone enthusiasts.

I have a feeling this is bound for the international market. It fits into the 3 model sports car structure that Toyota has been saying they're planning on.

Also, there's definitely a market for cars like this here.
    Small, cheap, funky style: Look at Kia and Hyundai.
    Affordable small sports car with good handling: FR-S/BRZ, Miata, and Fiat 124 Spider. Nissan played with the idea of the IDx, but then the bean counters got involved. -_-
    "What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

2013 FR-S:17x7 Kosei K1 TS track/autox wheels, Berk single-exit muffler delete, and PMU Club Racer track pads.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    It's not a Kei car and is big enough to sell in the US (larger than Miata already) so I don't see why they wouldn't bring it here.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    The car was rumored with the twins. I'd be shocked if it does not come. Toyota wants the old school 3 car lineup of sports cars back. Hopefully to stay.
    Likes Vertignasse liked this post

Cars
    WRX
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_bait88 View Post
    Plenty of manufacturers have a naming structure that's incredibly confusing to most people, let alone enthusiasts.

I have a feeling this is bound for the international market. It fits into the 3 model sports car structure that Toyota has been saying they're planning on.

Also, there's definitely a market for cars like this here.
    Small, cheap, funky style: Look at Kia and Hyundai.
    Affordable small sports car with good handling: FR-S/BRZ, Miata, and Fiat 124 Spider. Nissan played with the idea of the IDx, but then the bean counters got involved. -_-
    Confusing is one thing but using the same 3 letters in diff order? That's almost intentionally doing so. Anyhow I agree it will be for the international market (sadly). Maybe gets rebranded for the US into a "fun" name.

Don't get me started on the IDx, that is exactly the type of car that we need more of in the US and it had good styling to boot. Damn bean counters, if they get their way with the S-FR it may just get turned into a crossover SUV.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    It's all up to how much "demand" they get.

I can tell you Toyota USA wasn't planning to bring 86/FRS into US... til how hit it was at NYIAS and high demand it was after, so they decided to bring it to US.
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Miata
    Likes (Received)
    The upcoming US auto shows (LA and Detroit) might be a good sign if it's coming to the US or not. If they show it at either show then it might be a sign we'll get it.

Cars
    2013 FR-S: Kosei K1 TS 17x7, OE camber bolts, Berk single-exit muffler delete
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    Confusing is one thing but using the same 3 letters in diff order? That's almost intentionally doing so. Anyhow I agree it will be for the international market (sadly). Maybe gets rebranded for the US into a "fun" name.

Don't get me started on the IDx, that is exactly the type of car that we need more of in the US and it had good styling to boot. Damn bean counters, if they get their way with the S-FR it may just get turned into a crossover SUV.
    I always point to BMW's naming structure. Look within a given series and the monikers make little sense now. Luckily for them, most of the public just likes to be able to say, "I drive a BMW!" They could care less what comes after the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.
    "What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

2013 FR-S:17x7 Kosei K1 TS track/autox wheels, Berk single-exit muffler delete, and PMU Club Racer track pads.

Cars
    AE86, GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Given the whole Scion brand thing, it is fairly likely the name will change as they did for the GT86 in the US.

I reckon there's a reasonable market for it in Europe though. People like more compact cars here, it's much closer to what you see in the Japanese market.
    Likes Sarlacc liked this post

Director of UK GT86 BRZ Drivers Club, long term owner of many Toyotas!
    1985 AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex, HKS cams, 4-1 manifold and Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Work Meister S1's.
    2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, decat/overpipe Injen Induction. Volks Racing TE37s & TRD Aero Fins, Mega sounds. TEIN Street Flex 5/6kg, TEIN EDFC Active Pro

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pufferfish View Post
    The upcoming US auto shows (LA and Detroit) might be a good sign if it's coming to the US or not. If they show it at either show then it might be a sign we'll get it.
    I know Scion is releasing some new concept car in upcoming LAAS... but highly doubt it'll be SFR. Maybe, again MAYBE if it does well in TAS, it'll come to NYIAS.
    Balance is everything

Cars
    FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    It would be incredibly short-sighted of Toyota not to design for the Americas and EMEA markets.

If they manage to keep the price point below $15K, it would sell like, well, Camrys!
    Last edited by Ultramaroon; 10-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    I am still not convinced that they will bring it to North America. I have no basis for that opinion other then a gut feeling. There are many cars that have been good sellers that never hit the market here for one reason or another. Many are due to not meeting the crash test criteria or emissions requirements. The Evo didn't make it into Canada until the X since it didn't meet the low speed damage maximum permitted repair cost until they stretched the nose and provided more protection for the inter cooler. These could have the same sort of issues. Again not based on any know facts just a theory.