Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cars
    2013 FR-S: Kosei K1 TS 17x7, OE camber bolts, Berk single-exit muffler delete
    Likes (Received)

Mazda sourced engine? (Speculation fun)

Given the specs we're hearing rumors of now, could it share an engine with the MX-5? In Europe/Asia the ND comes with a 1.5L I4 with 129hp, and in the US it got a 2.0L with 155hp. The Euro/Asian specs sound about right, and it would make sense that they'd offer a slightly larger engine to the US market. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out this thing comes with a SkyActiv under the hood. Plus it would follow Toyota's current design philosophy for its sports cars: design the chassis/body and source the engine from someone they're currently partnered with.

FT-1: Toyota design w/ BMW engine
    GT86/FR-S: Toyota design w/ Subaru engine
    S-FR: Toyota design w/ Mazda engine

I definitely wouldn't mind a Mazda powered 2+2 hardtop with somewhere in the range of 130-160hp that is under 2,200lbs!

That being said, I'd love to see Toyota designing and building their own performance engines again.
    Likes Nevermore liked this post

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    ...or it could be 1.5 liter boxer engine

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichitaka05 View Post
    A boxer would be cool, as it'd be a real throwback to the Sports 800, but that bump in the hood seems like a purposeful/function design feature. One which wouldn't really be necessary with a flat 4, but would with an inline 4 in such a small car.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    I do agree with you. I love to see FA15 boxer to be used on this car... but realistically speaking it's better to go Mazda's 1.5 liter i4 w SkyActive.

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    I do agree with you. I love to see FA15 boxer to be used on this car... but realistically speaking it's better to go Mazda's 1.5 liter i4 w SkyActive.
    Plenty of people hating on the post I made on the FRS/BRZ/GT86 Enthusiast page on Facebook. If it comes with a SkyActiv, they won't be laughing while it pulls away from them as their Toyobaru struggles through the torque dip. lol

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_bait88 View Post
    Plenty of people hating on the post I made on the FRS/BRZ/GT86 Enthusiast page on Facebook. If it comes with a SkyActiv, they won't be laughing while it pulls away from them as their Toyobaru struggles through the torque dip. lol
    WHAT?!?!?! IDK why ppl hatin' on idea of coming SkyActiv? If they gonna put i4 using Mazda engine, I pray... again I PRAY that it'll come w SkyActiv!

Not sure on SFR gonna be pulling away from the twins. There are rumor going around saying, there gonna be power upgrade along w new facelift.
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    WHAT?!?!?! IDK why ppl hatin' on idea of coming SkyActiv? If they gonna put i4 using Mazda engine, I pray... again I PRAY that it'll come w SkyActiv!

Not sure on SFR gonna be pulling away from the twins. There are rumor going around saying, there gonna be power upgrade along w new facelift.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. haha They were just hating on the car in general.

Facelift would make sense, but a power upgrade, at least one with any significance, seems unlikely to me. The point of the car is that you have to flog it in the high RPMs to keep the car fun, so the torque dip is a staple of the cars' design. They've also pretty much said it will never get factory forced induction. Sure they could go with bigger injectors, a larger displacement motor, or some other tuning, but I just don't see the Toyobaru getting any substantial increases in power. The amount it has now is great for a car of its kind from the factory. People complaining about the power simply don't understand what the car was about.

As for the S-FR pulling away from the Twins, it was more of a joke. However, if the rumors of 2,120lbs curb weight and 130hp are accurate that's a lbs-to-hp ratio of 16.62. That's 2.83lbs-per-hp less than an FR-S, which is not a meager amount.

Granted, if they put a larger engine in it for the US market, like they did with the ND, that difference will shrink a little. I expect the S-FR to have a power-to-weight ratio that's very similar to the ND.
    Last edited by shark_bait88; 10-08-2015 at 11:40 AM.
    "What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

2013 FR-S:17x7 Kosei K1 TS track/autox wheels, Berk single-exit muffler delete, and PMU Club Racer track pads.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    As for the S-FR pulling away from the Twins, it was more of a joke. However, if the rumors of 2,120lbs curb weight and 130hp are accurate that's a lbs-to-hp ratio of 16.62. That's 2.83lbs-per-hp less than an FR-S, which is not a meager amount.

Granted, if they put a larger engine in it for the US market, like they did with the ND, that difference will shrink a little. I expect the S-FR to have a power-to-weight ratio that's very similar to the ND.
    I hope they keep 1.5 liter in US when they bring it here in US
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    I hope they keep 1.5 liter in US when they bring it here in US
    My money is on a 1.8-2.0L here, more likely a 2.0L if it is a SkyActiv engine. The US market is tough to sell on small cars, and even tougher to sell on small engines. You know, because #murica.

With our larger roads, bigger highways, and overall more powerful cars a bigger 4cyl kind of makes sense for every day traffic too.
    "What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

2013 FR-S:17x7 Kosei K1 TS track/autox wheels, Berk single-exit muffler delete, and PMU Club Racer track pads.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    My money is on a 1.8-2.0L here, more likely a 2.0L if it is a SkyActiv engine. The US market is tough to sell on small cars, and even tougher to sell on small engines. You know, because #murica.

With our larger roads, bigger highways, and overall more powerful cars a bigger 4cyl kind of makes sense for every day traffic too.
    For every day traffic, I think 1.6~1.8 liter w SkyActiv might be better, so they get better MPG than 2.0... but yeah, prob you're right on that Murica part lol
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    For every day traffic, I think 1.6~1.8 liter w SkyActiv might be better, so they get better MPG than 2.0... but yeah, prob you're right on that Murica part lol
    I agree on the 1.6-1.8L thing, but there are no SkyActiv engines with that displacement. They go 1.3L, 1.5L, 2.0L, and 2.5L. I think we're essentially going to end up with a quirky looking hardtop MX-5, which I'm very alright with.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    I agree on the 1.6-1.8L thing, but there are no SkyActiv engines with that displacement. They go 1.3L, 1.5L, 2.0L, and 2.5L. I think we're essentially going to end up with a quirky looking hardtop MX-5, which I'm very alright with.
    Yeah, that's why my guess is 1.5L

In Car n Driver they "guess" that 1.5 L NA w 130hp... so it's a chance of having 1.5L w SkyActiv.
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    I hope it comes with the 2.0 SkyActiv! I've wanted a hardtop Miata forever and Mazda isn't interested in making one. If this ends up being as small and light as a Miata, but with a stiffer structure and more serious suspension, then it'll be perfect.

And how can people on the FRS/BRZ page hate on this thing? The FRS/BRZ was designed to be small, light, and fun, and the S-FR only appears to be smaller, lighter and (potentially) funner! People just like to hate, I guess.

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guff View Post
    And how can people on the FRS/BRZ page hate on this thing? The FRS/BRZ was designed to be small, light, and fun, and the S-FR only appears to be smaller, lighter and (potentially) funner! People just like to hate, I guess.
    Probably because that page is mainly full of hard parking stance bros. lol

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'd be happy with a NORMALLY ASPIRATED 1.5L I4 motor from Toyota or Mazda... if it's a Subaru boxer motor or has forced induction in any kind of form I'll be breaking things out of rage....LOL