Close
    Cars
    AW11 SC, AW11 NA, ZN6
    Likes (Received)

This is very cute but why is it not MR?

I think I'll probably get one anyway and I like that it has a back seat. Still, not mid mount

Cars
    AW11 MR2 Supercharged
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I think I'll probably get one anyway and I like that it has a back seat. Still, not mid mount
    It is very much mid-engined, with the engine entirely behind the front axle. As much as I love the MR2, I understand that a car with the engine mounted in the back gets a lot less approval from the wives due to the lack of cargo space and child seat support, and the car would therefore not be sustainable from a business standpoint.
    Last edited by ydooby; 10-16-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Not to mention that this is targeting non enthusiasts as an entry level car. A mid engine (or more "mid" as ydooby points out) layout would scare off a lot of people.

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    I will admit it would probably make me more hesitant. Top Gear has talked about snap oversteer too much.

Cars
    AW11 MR2 Supercharged
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    I will admit it would probably make me more hesitant. Top Gear has talked about snap oversteer too much.
    That too. The FMR layout is much friendlier to beginners, which will likely make up the majority of the S-FR's demographics due to its low price.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Yea, any time anyone talks about the MR2 and the Fiero, snap oversteer is the very next comment. As much as the MR2 was awesome, it is just not practical unless somehow they sell tens of thousands of this S-RF. If they do make a ton on this car, then a real MR2 successor can be discussed.

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    $$$ and practicality will be the reason.

Car wouldn't seat 2+2 with an engine rear of the driver and remain compact, front storage area is restricted by aerodynamics and conventional styling guidelines vs. rear storage which can be as large as passenger space (mmm wagons and hatches), expensive to develop unique chassis vs pulling from decades of continuous front engined chassis iterations.

The only reason budget mid-engined cars get made is that you can plop an FWD powertrain behind the driver and save a boatload on engineering costs vs. adapting a RWD to sit behind the driver, then you have to fight cooling issues, still expensive. Having the engine up front simplifies cooling greatly, a system which is very often overlooked by casual enthusiasts.

Opinion time: snap oversteer is highly overstated and FMR is not mid engined, ideal static weight distribution for mass market sporty vehicles is F/R: ~45/55.
    Likes Tcoat, Sarlacc liked this post

Cars
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    another thing to note is engine accessibility.

Cars
    '11 Impreza 5-door Sport Package
    Likes (Received)
    I'm hoping the S-FR will be very cheap to run and insure, and I think having a traditional FR 2+2 setup will make it cheaper when compared to a two-seater MR vehicle.

I live in a very snowy part of Canada and currently drive a N/A Impreza. I have a wife and child and would not be able to drive a BRZ (lack of space and winter capabilities) all year long. This new S-FR could be my savior. If it's under 20k, I'll buy one as a summer car and just keep the Impreza for as long as possible as a winter/camping car and general hauler. I just wish we would get confirmation the S-FR is actually coming to North-America.

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertignasse View Post
    ... I have a wife and child and would not be able to drive a BRZ (lack of space and winter capabilities) all year long. This new S-FR could be my savior. ....
    In my experience, the GT86/BRZ/FRS has as good winter capabilities as most RWD cars I've owned. The stability control works great and suits my driving style very well (In VSC Sport mode in slopes and tricky conditions such as wet snow or ice.)
    From the pictures I've seen it looks like the S-FR will have less rear seat space than the BRZ. Probably less luggage space as well.

So if I were you, I'd go buy a BRZ and keep the Impreza. That'll be an awesome combo, all year :-)

Cars
    '11 Impreza 5-door Sport Package
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post

So if I were you, I'd go buy a BRZ and keep the Impreza. That'll be an awesome combo, all year :-)
    That would definitely be my dream combo, but I don't think I could currently afford keeping these two on the road. I'm banking on the fact that the S-FR could be significantly cheaper than the BRZ/FR-S, and on the fact that I might actually start doing basic maintenance on it myself.

I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle license and a Duke 390, for general hooliganism. But motorbikes can only be ridden from April to November here, and my wife also prefers that I don't get into motorbikes (I'm currently into regular bikes). So the S-FR is a glimmer of hope for me. Never would I have dreamed about something as perfect as a sporty FR car CHEAPER than an FR-S. The FR-S itself was a miracle. So if this thing gets made and sold here in Canada for around 17k-19k, I will most definitely buy one. I could definitely afford to maintain a base Impreza (I would probably opt for the super-base model for the next Imp instead of the sport package) and a tiny S-FR.
    Last edited by Vertignasse; 11-15-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammer

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertignasse View Post
    That would definitely be my dream combo, but I don't think I could currently afford keeping these two on the road. I'm banking on the fact that the S-FR could be significantly cheaper than the BRZ/FR-S, and on the fact that I might actually start doing basic maintenance on it myself.

I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle license and a Duke 390, for general hooliganism. But motorbikes can only be ridden from April to November here, and my wife also prefers that I don't get into motorbikes (I'm currently into regular bikes). So the S-FR is a glimmer of hope for me. Never would I have dreamed about something as perfect as a sporty FR car CHEAPER than an FR-S. The FR-S itself was a miracle. So if this thing gets made and sold here in Canada for around 17k-19k, I will most definitely buy one. I could definitely afford to maintain a base Impreza (I would probably opt for the super-base model for the next Imp instead of the sport package) and a tiny S-FR.
    I get it. I'll throw my hopes in with yours :-)