Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)

S-FR Track Monster or Something Else?

So, for lack of a better sub-forum this is going here for now. If a sub-forum pops up later I don't mind it being moved. Also, I know this is way too early of a question, but this is the whole reason I like this car and it's something I'd love to discuss as much as possible with as many people as possible.

I've said it before in a few places, but I'd like a more in depth discussion. I think this cutely-angry little car would make a perfect little track monster. I'd love to get good with it (that would probably be the hardest part, honestly) and just destroy typically faster, meaner cars with the cutest thing on the track. Now, aftermarket and beginning price point being the ultimate deciding factors, but assuming the best case scenario for this little car, I feel like $30k would just make it a monster. If I could do it for less though, that's always good.

My question for you guys is this, do you think this car would make that good of a track car or should I just go with something else? I know several other options would definitely be cheaper than a brand new car. I get that. Lets be open minded here though, for the fun of it.

Other things to consider (though not necessary at this time)

FI and modified stock engine (if it comes with that Corolla engine in it) or crazy swap?
    Sleeper mode or full on race build?
    Should I try to keep it road legal and a road and track car, or dedicated track car? I don't know how I feel about needing a truck and trailer though...

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Personally, I don't think it would make a good Track only car compared to the FR-S... If I were to do a track car it would be an FR-S, get one that was flooded for cheap and strip it down and redo it with a different, non-boxer motor. For $15k you would have a monster. While the S-FR wouldn't be bad on track I just don't think it could ever get to the level of the FR-S due to aerodynamics for a full track only build. The FR-S was purposely designed to be really stable at high speeds while slipping through the air in the most efficient manner possible. The S-FR...not so much. I don't think it will be a brick per se...but it still will be limited a lot more on the top end compared to an FR-S. The chassis wheelbase and track differences also come into effect...longer wheelbase and wider track of the FR-S will give it an advantage in high speed handling. If you just want to track for fun, either would do...but if you are serious about time trials and other events then the FR-S would be the way to go.

Or for less than $30k, a dedicated race car like this would actually be my choice:

http://race-cars.com/carsales/other/...87272286ss.htm

Up it to $40k and you could get this though:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ma...98809750ss.htm

Those are track monsters....

I'd just modify the S-FR as necessary to make it competent on track (keeping it street legal) and go have fun on track... should be a lot more reliable than a FR-S with a lot less heat issues. At a minimum I'd do brakes, wheels, and tires - hopefully the suspension is as good as the FR-S is stock and not need any changes.
    Likes Captain Snooze liked this post

My FR-S: 13' Asphalt, 6MT

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
    I'd just modify the S-FR as necessary to make it competent on track (keeping it street legal) and go have fun on track... should be a lot more reliable than a FR-S with a lot less heat issues. At a minimum I'd do brakes, wheels, and tires - hopefully the suspension is as good as the FR-S is stock and not need any changes.
    Honestly, this last bit is probably the most realistic thing I would manage. I love the idea of just going nuts with the S-FR, but I doubt I'd go absolutely crazy. Brakes, wheels, tires are all good ideas, but I'd love to do exhaust and turbo/supercharger. I don't want it to be a ricer, but I definitely want it to sound like a pissed off bumblebee. Maybe give it a wing if someone makes one.

As for the suggested cars. I want a monster that doesn't look like a monster.

Cars
    2013 FR-S: Kosei K1 TS 17x7, OE camber bolts, Berk single-exit muffler delete
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
    get one that was flooded for cheap and strip it down and redo it
    This is exactly what some guy my buddy was telling me about did. Picked up a flood damaged car, apparently rear end was the only damaged part, for $6k!
    "What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?"

2013 FR-S:17x7 Kosei K1 TS track/autox wheels, Berk single-exit muffler delete, and PMU Club Racer track pads.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Anything can be a track monster with enough time and money poured into it. This always begs the question of when does a certain car stop being that car due to mods. If you take one of these and swap the engine, tranny, rear end and all the suspension it could certainly be a major track car but is it still a S-FR?
    Based on what we know so far I would guess that at stock levels it will be more of a track kitten then a monster.

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
    Anything can be a track monster with enough time and money poured into it. This always begs the question of when does a certain car stop being that car due to mods. If you take one of these and swap the engine, tranny, rear end and all the suspension it could certainly be a major track car but is it still a S-FR?
    Based on what we know so far I would guess that at stock levels it will be more of a track kitten then a monster.
    That's why if I did do this, the goal would be to build up the stock motor and everything attached to make it a monster, though I don't know much about that motor, and nothing about the transmission to know whether or not it can even be built, which is why this thread shouldn't be taken too seriously since we basically know nothing at this point. Swapping stuff out is pretty expensive and I'd rather dedicate a large portion of the budget to aggressive FI than to a new engine.
    Likes Tcoat liked this post

Cars
    AW11 MR2 Supercharged
    Likes (Received)
    It won't be as good on the track as the 86/FR-S, but it'll most likely be better for autocrossing due to its shorter wheelbase and lighter weight.

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_bait88 View Post
    This is exactly what some guy my buddy was telling me about did. Picked up a flood damaged car, apparently rear end was the only damaged part, for $6k!
    Hopefully less than $6k though...

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...31&RowNumber=0

hit the "back to results" button towards the top to see more...

Unfortunately, Houston is a great place to be for getting flooded vehicles.... every so often we get torrential tropical down pours that the drainage systems just can't handle along with underpasses and low lying areas that will drown Semi's...

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Are you not doing that with your FRS? Why wait 2+ years?

IMO the only point in trailering a car to a track is if you have a legitimate concern about not being able to drive it home, that shouldn't happen in HPDE and autocross (although to be fair it does happen).
    Totally not worth the hassle, drive the car there, make adjustments like alignment damping tire pressures ecu map, have fun, switch it back in <30 minutes, drive home. I've loaded and unloaded enough trailers in my life, I can't see what stripping a street car and making it unstreetable would buy me in terms of fun for casual events.

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

IMO the only point in trailering a car to a track is if you have a legitimate concern about not being able to drive it home, that shouldn't happen in HPDE and autocross (although to be fair it does happen).
    Totally not worth the hassle, drive the car there, make adjustments like alignment damping tire pressures ecu map, have fun, switch it back in <30 minutes, drive home. I've loaded and unloaded enough trailers in my life, I can't see what stripping a street car and making it unstreetable would buy me in terms of fun for casual events.
    Honestly? I've never wanted a track car. I like the idea of tracking either my FR-S or something else, but to be honest I'm somewhat terrified of the prospect. That being said, I see this cute, angry little car and for some reason it screams track car to me. I can't really explain it. I guess I want to take something unassuming and unique to the track with the BMW's and FR-S's and Porsche's and see the looks people give this car, then just show them taillights. All of this started with that one idea.

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Main reason I'd want the car setup as a track only car is to not have to worry about anything...no insurance/ emissions/ inspection/ conforming to vehicle code. Take the troublesome Boxer motor out and put something much better in (like an F22C) and get it down to less than 2400lbs... no ABS, no traction control, only enough harness to run the engine and required lighting. I like designing and testing, much easier to do when you don't have to worry about street legality and street cars are really a compromise when on track. I want something I could write off and not care about... street legal cars are too much trouble in that regard. And seriously, taking a few minutes to load or unload a track car that is ready to go on track is more trouble than having to change tires and suspension settings on a daily driver to get it ready for track use? Way more piece of mind having a car that only sees track use and you know every inch of it intimately and keep it maintained in a ready to use state. Not to mention the better safety measures you can put into a track only car. If I'm only going to track maybe half a dozen times a year, I want the experience to be the best possible... don't want it to be my daily driver (and only vehicle) if I can help it because I hate having to hold myself back and not push it since the risk would be too great. Plus I want to run Time Trial events.

My current FR-S will be basically funding the S-FR or whatever it turns out to be... as I will not take on another car payment ever again. I'd be much more inclined to track the S-FR than the FR-S, but would still rather a track only car. And if I just want easy no hassle track time, there's always the local indoor arrive-and-drive karting place...

My end goal is to make an FR-S track car with an F22C motor... how long that takes depends on whether the S-FR actually materializes into a North American release from Toyota Motor Company....
    Likes strat61caster, Tcoat liked this post

My FR-S: 13' Asphalt, 6MT

Cars
    Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Anything can be a track monster as long as you throw enough money at it.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Anything can be a track monster as long as you throw enough money at it.
    Ummmmm ya
    My opening statement:
    "Anything can be a track monster with enough time and money poured into it."

Cars
    Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Ummmmm ya
    My opening statement:
    "Anything can be a track monster with enough time and money poured into it."
    oh... I mustve skim read over that
    Likes Tcoat liked this post

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    For the sake of craziness, can you imagine a V8 in the S-FR? Wouldn't that just be hilariously silly? Can you imagine popping the hood to show someone?