Close
    Cars
    Toyota Ae86, BMW 318ti
    Likes (Received)

S-FR Wishlisting

The forums seem pretty dead lately, since all of us are probably just checking for any update, so I thought a thread on what we'd like to see out of the S-FR might be nice. Perhaps if we're lucky, maybe someone at Toyota will pay attention like they supposedly did on some Ae86 forums during the early design of the GT86.

Photoshops are highly encouraged, visuals like a hatchback S-FR would be easier to get a point across and may spread beyond SFRforums.com.

My personal wishlight:
    • Normal solid roof, nothing fancy. No need for a glass roof, or even a sunroof.
    • Hatchback design, at the very least a hatchback version available, with a roof and rear window design more reminiscent of the Ae86. I think the Scion TC, and 2016 Corolla coupe concept, have a similar design. It would bring the car closer to the Ae86, but also make it far more practical than a MX-5 Miata, which could help it to sell more.
    • Reliable high-rev engine similar to the 4age 16v, 4age 20v, and the 2zz. Preferably something like a modernized 4age 20v, or a more robust 2zz. The sound alone from those engines is desirable.
    • Keep it simple and basic. No cameras, no navigation, no heated seats. Keeping it simple will keep it affordable and lighter in weight. At the very least, a base version should be offered that forgoes these luxuries.
    • Kind of frivolous on my part but: bring back the Levin and Trueno namesakes. Levin could be a softer coupe, and Trueno the sharper hatchback. Perhaps rename the car from S-FR (likely a concept name) to the S86; short for Sprinter 86. This would tie in nicely with it being the "little brother" to the GT86, as well as linking the Sports 800 and Ae86 Sprinter Trueno/Levin. Outright calling it a Sprinter would be fine as well.
    Likes Vertignasse, Haysoos liked this post

Cars
    e30 r50 Mini
    Likes (Received)
    I'll be honest, I check this forum every day for updates but always end up disapointed and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    My personal wishlight:
    • Normal solid roof, nothing fancy. No need for a glass roof, or even a sunroof.
      I want this too. No convertible. No heavy equipment up top. A simple roof.
    • Hatchback design, at the very least a hatchback version available, with a roof and rear window design more reminiscent of the Ae86. I think the Scion TC, and 2016 Corolla coupe concept, have a similar design. It would bring the car closer to the Ae86, but also make it far more practical than a MX-5 Miata, which could help it to sell more.
      I'd love a hatch design. I never have to worry about passengers but I'm carrying crap around in my car all the time. If it came with fold down flatable seats that would make it perfect.
    • Reliable high-rev engine similar to the 4age 16v, 4age 20v, and the 2zz. Preferably something like a modernized 4age 20v, or a more robust 2zz. The sound alone from those engines is desirable.
      That's what I want too. I'd love for it to have something decent, reliable, and light. A transmission that shifts great and isn't made out of glass would be a plus.
    • Keep it simple and basic. No cameras, no navigation, no heated seats. Keeping it simple will keep it affordable and lighter in weight. At the very least, a base version should be offered that forgoes these luxuries.
      IIRC, backup cameras are becoming mandatory.
    • Kind of frivolous on my part but: bring back the Levin and Trueno namesakes. Levin could be a softer coupe, and Trueno the sharper hatchback. Perhaps rename the car from S-FR (likely a concept name) to the S86; short for Sprinter 86. This would tie in nicely with it being the "little brother" to the GT86, as well as linking the Sports 800 and Ae86 Sprinter Trueno/Levin. Outright calling it a Sprinter would be fine as well.
    The biggest thing I would like is for it to get made. For now, it just seems like Toyota sent out a tease and has just dropped the whole thing.

My personal wishlight:
    • For it to get made at all.
    • Light and simple
    • RWD
    • A simple and reliable engine with a proven track record. I don't want to worry about being the one who has to test out Toyota's new engine for them.
    • Decent suspension geometry. Springs, sway bars, etc., can be easily be changed but geometry cannot be easily changed.
    Likes Vertignasse, Haysoos liked this post

Cars
    Mx5
    Likes (Received)
    2UR-GSE engine option

Cars
    Celica
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by swimstarguy View Post
    I'll be honest, I check this forum every day for updates but always end up disapointed and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    My personal wishlight:
    Normal solid roof, nothing fancy. No need for a glass roof, or even a sunroof.
    I want this too. No convertible. No heavy equipment up top. A simple roof.
    Hatchback design, at the very least a hatchback version available, with a roof and rear window design more reminiscent of the Ae86. I think the Scion TC, and 2016 Corolla coupe concept, have a similar design. It would bring the car closer to the Ae86, but also make it far more practical than a MX-5 Miata, which could help it to sell more.
    I'd love a hatch design. I never have to worry about passengers but I'm carrying crap around in my car all the time. If it came with fold down flatable seats that would make it perfect.
    Reliable high-rev engine similar to the 4age 16v, 4age 20v, and the 2zz. Preferably something like a modernized 4age 20v, or a more robust 2zz. The sound alone from those engines is desirable.
    That's what I want too. I'd love for it to have something decent, reliable, and light. A transmission that shifts great and isn't made out of glass would be a plus.
    Keep it simple and basic. No cameras, no navigation, no heated seats. Keeping it simple will keep it affordable and lighter in weight. At the very least, a base version should be offered that forgoes these luxuries.
    IIRC, backup cameras are becoming mandatory.
    Kind of frivolous on my part but: bring back the Levin and Trueno namesakes. Levin could be a softer coupe, and Trueno the sharper hatchback. Perhaps rename the car from S-FR (likely a concept name) to the S86; short for Sprinter 86. This would tie in nicely with it being the "little brother" to the GT86, as well as linking the Sports 800 and Ae86 Sprinter Trueno/Levin. Outright calling it a Sprinter would be fine as well.

The biggest thing I would like is for it to get made. For now, it just seems like Toyota sent out a tease and has just dropped the whole thing.

My personal wishlight:
    • For it to get made at all.
    • Light and simple
    • RWD
    • A simple and reliable engine with a proven track record. I don't want to worry about being the one who has to test out Toyota's new engine for them.
    • Decent suspension geometry. Springs, sway bars, etc., can be easily be changed but geometry cannot be easily changed.
    I agree with everything here, would also add:

Limited Slip Differential
    Easy access to the engine bay
    Brake cooling ducts

Cars
    1990 ford festiva,1997 mazda miata
    Likes (Received)
    I want some form of pop up headlights and a nice diff to make it fun

Cars
    Celica
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bound1ess View Post
    I want some form of pop up headlights and a nice diff to make it fun
    Just curious, isn't a safety issue to have pop up headlights? Also wouldn't it effect mpg and drag?

Cars
    Toyota Ae86, BMW 318ti
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysoos View Post
    Just curious, isn't a safety issue to have pop up headlights? Also wouldn't it effect mpg and drag?
    Popup lights could probably be designed with sensors to close with proximity or impacts, considering how fast other systems like automatic-braking and airbags have gotten over the years. The real issue I think is not that popup lights would remain a hazard for pedestrians (which is silly, since a big flat front-end on a pickup is more dangerous...), but that no automaker will invest in the R&D for something they see as an obsolete technology that a minority of people desire. They do affect the car with drag, how much I'm not sure, but not every popup light needs to be large and square either; a good example would be the later FD Rx7, including the lower profile aftermarket setups like the picture below. A lower profile popup would also be quicker to close with safety sensors.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Pop up head lights would just add to the cost of what is to be an entry level car. Not going to happen.

Cars
    1990 ford festiva,1997 mazda miata
    Likes (Received)
    idk man

Cars
    Toyota Ae86, BMW 318ti
    Likes (Received)
    Forgive the poor photoshop skills. I was experimenting with adding in more iconic Ae86 lines. The windows might be a bit too angular, they look a little off to me. Maybe similar size and angles, but slightly more curved windows might mesh better with the more modern exterior.

VS

Cars
    NB Miata
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    2UR-GSE engine option
    Waaay overkill.... I've always thought the 2GR-FE/FSE would be *perfect* for the GT86, I think it would be a dream in the SFR.

My wish list wouldn't be to have this engine but basically make the engine bay, all the electronics and plumbing to be just a straight drop in with no fabrication and everything work right out the door. That way you can get an SFR and do it yourself, keeping the actual cost of the SFR itself dirt cheap.

For the actual SFR it needs to have:

Cheapest steel wheels.
    No glass roof (although keep it black)
    No stereo
    Cheapest suspension (but a great setup ready for great suspension)
    Cheapest brakes.
    ALL body panels to be able to be bolted on and off, including the roof.
    Cheapest seats
    Plenty of room under those wheel arches.

Basically, enough to make it barely road legal and keep the price down to around $13-15k.
    Likes Haysoos liked this post

Cars
    Mx5
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    2UR-GSE engine option
    Seriously though, I would like the following:

- Liftback or hatch design. There's no need for a small coupe to have a small boot.
    - Ability to fit a towbar. I've heard in the USA, where many of you are from, manufacturers state you cannot tow with their small cars. Meanwhile, here in Australia, Japan, and the rest of the world, cars like the Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, have a typical tow capacity of around 750kg. And they handle this well. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, so I only need to tow <400kg.
    - LSD option
    - Attractive interior. A lot of small, cheap cars are coming out with really attractive interiors. Of new cars, I really like the current Mazda 2, and new Suzuki Ignis. It doesn't need to be a Mercedes, this sort of thing is becoming standard on cheap cars, it's not expensive. The S-FR concept interior looks good to me, I like the colour highlights.
    - More retro styling. The S-FR concept is curvy, modern, and cute. I prefer more retro looking vehicles. The Nissan IDX concept looked better than the S-FR to me. Toyota has a rich history they could mine, with cars like the ta22, 800, 2000gt. Retro styled sportscars sell very well, it's becoming ever more popular - look at the Mustang, Porsche 911 etc. Same with motorcycles, the fastest growing category is retro naked bikes, often called 'scramblers'. No one has done a retro Japanese sports car. I think if they released a modern car which looked 90% like a ta22 or ra28 Celica, and was a proper rwd sports car, it would sell like hotcakes.
    - Levels of options. A cheap entry level model, and a higher end hot turbo model. If only one can exist, I'd definitely want the cheap basic model, but the world should have both.
    - All electronic aids to be easily switchable off.
    - Things like RWD, small, light, simple, are obviously a given.