Close
    Cars
    Saab 9000 Aero Volvo V50 T5 AWD
    Likes (Received)

New Toyota Japan Commercial Featuring S-FR!

Good News, Everyone!

Not sure how to embed videos, but here's a new spot featuring a certain small, yellow concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2JpJGoiv4
    Likes Dan76Japan, swimstarguy liked this post

Cars
    Celica
    Likes (Received)
    AMAZING!

That didn't look cheap to make, the production on it was no joke. God I hope they bring that car here, although honestly, seeing as tho this was a Japanese commercial it sure seems like its going to be Japan only car
    Likes Dan76Japan liked this post

Cars
    Toyota Ae86, BMW 318ti
    Likes (Received)
    I'm glad to see the Ae86 included in that commercial. I get much more of an Ae86-successor vibe from this car than the GT86, and it sure seems this was implied in the commercial. I seem to remember hearing that Toyota's main inspirations for this car was the Sports 800 and the Ae86?

It would be nice to see a release with both hatchback and coupe like the Ae86 had. Maybe with some minor variation in bodystyle to pay homage to both the Sports 800 (coupe, current softer styling) and Ae86 (hatchback, sharper more angular)?
    Hatchbacks have been selling pretty well overseas lately, and a small sporty car that is more practical (hatchback and coupe) than a roadster design would do quite well I'd imagine.

Whatever they do, I want one. The GT86/FT86 was a disappointment; if I wanted a Subaru I'd buy a Subaru

Cars
    Toyota SW20 turbo. Suzuki Every Turbo
    Likes (Received)
    That's me in the future! As a non-Japanese living here, who wants that car.
    Likes Dan76Japan, Haysoos liked this post

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    I can't believe this was published on May 27 and I only just saw it.

I dropped the ball people, sorry. I was subscribed to Toyota channels as well.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Of what I know of Japanese culture, which probably isn't much, it seems a strange commercial. Hope the car comes to the states though. I might end up with both it and my FRS.

Cars
    Mx5
    Likes (Received)
    Seems like a rip-off of the 2016 Audi superbowl commercial:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8tgVqmKzw

They have a lot in common. Depressed old man experiences new lease on life after driving new sports car. The most incredibly blatant part is they both use a David Bowie song.

I am very hyped by the video in the OP though, love it.

Cars
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoahao View Post
    Of what I know of Japanese culture, which probably isn't much, it seems a strange commercial. Hope the car comes to the states though. I might end up with both it and my FRS.
    There is an article online written by a non-Japanese living here, much like me. What he said is very good. It shows that the company is making an admission the country finds hard to make. There are a lot of non-Japanese who choose to live here forever. The demographics of Japan are changing. So, it's perfectly fine to make a commercial like this. There are just a few right-wing losers on youtube that make comments about how he's not Japanese. But, hey, that kind of person lives everywhere. Youtube comments are generally poison.
    Likes Haysoos, Dan76Japan liked this post

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    I have no problem myself with it. It's good that Toyota thinks it won't offend domestic sensibilities. Good to see the Japanese become less insular.
    Likes Vertignasse, Dan76Japan liked this post

Cars
    NB Miata
    Likes (Received)
    This is going to be it isn't it? This little glimmer of hope to keep the carrot on the stick fresh for what, a year before something MIGHT be release?

Ugh, do or do not, there is no.... constant teasing. I wish they hadn't said anything at all, it was easier to give up hope.

Cars
    Toyota Ae86, BMW 318ti
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This is going to be it isn't it? This little glimmer of hope to keep the carrot on the stick fresh for what, a year before something MIGHT be release?

Ugh, do or do not, there is no.... constant teasing. I wish they hadn't said anything at all, it was easier to give up hope.
    I feel the same way. I really wish we had some confirmation on whether this will or will not come to North America; even if it was confirmation that it would coming in a few years, at least it would be something.

I'm starting to feel a bit jaded about Toyota; they got my hopes up with the GT86, and they'll probably do it again with the S-FR somehow. I just want that 'spirit' back they had in the Ae86, MR2, etc; and put that into a new car that is truly a Toyota.

The dissatisfaction with Toyota seems to be in the Japanese market as well; as poor as some of the translation software is, I've seen some pretty obvious negative attitudes about Toyota-corporate in threads related to the S-FR. The only highlight I've seen is that the Ae86 seems to be mentioned fairly often by Japanese posters, so maybe if things go well the Ae86 will grow as a influence on the S-FR. This video seems to suggest it is at least on the minds of some in Toyota. Maybe they should get Nobuaki Katayama back for the S-FR...

Cars
    Celica
    Likes (Received)
    By the time this car comes out Tesla will have a sports car that will smoke this car.