Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
    Ah thanks it's pretty apparent now that you've explained it. Pretty production-ready stuff there.
    It's a quite interesting placement of those buttons.
    On the GT86 they're on the driver side door panel.

Cars
    WRX
    Likes (Received)
    Guess we'll have to see if they bring it out to the Detroit show. If so it would seem they are testing the US waters to see what the reaction and interest level is.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
    Curious as to how you come to that conclusion based on that comment? They were very clear that this is still in the concept stage throughout the interview. Even this response only says "likely".
    We got way better answers than say... FT-86 Concept came out. I wanted to kill all the auto blogger w lame questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Neme303 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that this is almost production ready. hell, even the FT-86 I and II concepts didn't look this ready when they debuted
    Actually Mk2 have production chassis. They just changed the cosmetic (front & rear bumper, head/taillights & few other things).
    Likes Sarlacc liked this post

Balance is everything

Cars
    Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    This looks awesome! Big props to Mr. Admin for the juicy interview! Toyota is playing it close, but I think we can glean enough to see that they are thinking of it as more than a vaporware concept. That in itself is very exciting!
    Likes DjB liked this post

Cars
    AW11 MR2 Supercharged
    Likes (Received)
    Any better shot of the rear seats than this one? Got ISOFIX? Foldable?

Cars
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichitaka05 View Post
    We got way better answers than say... FT-86 Concept came out. I wanted to kill all the auto blogger w lame questions.

Actually Mk2 have production chassis. They just changed the cosmetic (front & rear bumper, head/taillights & few other things).
    the FT-86 I had that weird zipper dash and a white interior, no way any of that was making it to production. and the FT-86 II Had no interior shots whatsoever albeit, the shape as similar to production.

that's what i was pointing out ^^;
    Likes Ichitaka05 liked this post

Cars
    Toyota SW20 turbo. Suzuki Every Turbo
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the awesome interview. The Japanese answers were exactly as the translator said, still a concept.

However, I think the biggest "tells" to the fact that this is more of a pre-production car lie in the look of it.

1. It has mirrors of a standard size, with side indicators in the mirror that are standard Toyota parts, not some weird shape.
    2. Most of the interior switches, aside from the LCD panels look to be standard parts.
    3. The wheels, and brake components are standard parts, just painted and "dressed up"
    4. The door lock components visible in the pictures are standard Toyota parts.
    5. It has TOE HOOK cut outs in the bumpers.

It has a lot of things that the FT-86 I and II didn't have in concept trim.

As I live in Japan, I will be looking forward to picking up one of the first s-Fr when they go on sale.
    Unfortunately, I'm too far from Tokyo to afford to go to the Motorshow...
    Likes Hoahao, Neme303, Sarlacc liked this post

Cars
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OKASFR View Post
    Thanks for the awesome interview. The Japanese answers were exactly as the translator said, still a concept.

However, I think the biggest "tells" to the fact that this is more of a pre-production car lie in the look of it.

1. It has mirrors of a standard size, with side indicators in the mirror that are standard Toyota parts, not some weird shape.
    2. Most of the interior switches, aside from the LCD panels look to be standard parts.
    3. The wheels, and brake components are standard parts, just painted and "dressed up"

As I live in Japan, I will be looking forward to picking up one of the first s-Fr when they go on sale.
    http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/show...Official-Video!

It also drives so yeah I'd say, more pre-production than concept
    Likes OKASFR liked this post

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Hmm the steering wheel looks a lot like the gt86's. I wonder if it would be easily swapped over. Not liking that lcd on the steering wheel.

Cars
    Hot Lava Scion FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    It's weird that he's dodging the questions that much since it looks so production ready. I guess Toyota just likes keeping things secret.

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OKASFR View Post

Very good observations, and I think you're right.

When you get your S-FR... please take lots of photos and post them...
    That'll be as close as I'll ever be to this car I'm afraid, unless it makes it to Europe after all.
    Likes OKASFR liked this post

Cars
    Volvo
    Likes (Received)
    I really like the car, and am persuaded that it will make it into production. The video and follow-up interview were useful in that they provided some concrete information (metal roof, choice of transmissions, one of three sports cars, etc). That's exciting as I will be looking for a new, sporty car in 2017. However, I am very disappointed that Toyota will not say if it will be exported to the US. Unless that threshold question is answered, I believe it will be hard for me, and a large number of potential American buyers, to maintain interest in the concept. If Toyota is following this board, and they intend to sell the S-FR stateside, I hope they will not pass on an opportunity to build a loyal fan-base ahead of the first sales.

Cars
    AW11 MR2 Supercharged
    Likes (Received)
    If you squint a little bit it almost looks like a roadster with the black roof and a background!

Cars
    1987 Toyota Supra - 1UZ-FE + Vortech 2003 Toyota RAV4 - AWD - 5 Speed
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    It's a quite interesting placement of those buttons.
    On the GT86 they're on the driver side door panel.
    Toyota put the window and lock controls in the middle for the last gen Celica, it was part of the keeping things cheap thought process. Potentially there could be as few as 6-8 wires in each door (with speakers) vs 12ish (depending on the complexity of the window controls).

They keep calling it a concept, but like everyone is saying it appears to be in a pre-production status. Perhaps they have raised the standards for concept vehicles?

Heck, it could have been budget influenced as in a design-build scenario. Develop the final product as you are developing the concept, it works most of the time in the building construction fields.
    Likes carboy, Sarlacc, OKASFR liked this post

Whats in the Garage..... Well the yard!
    2003 Toyota RAV4 - NA 4 Door - 2.0L 5 Speed Manual AWD
    1987 Toyota Supra - NA Hard Top - 1UZ-FE+DET3+Vortech = 1 Good Time

MidEast Region Supra Owners
    Find us on Facebook!
    Find us Online!

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Toyota put the window and lock controls in the middle for the last gen Celica, it was part of the keeping things cheap thought process. Potentially there could be as few as 6-8 wires in each door (with speakers) vs 12ish (depending on the complexity of the window controls).
    So it could be seen as a subtle nod to the Celica? That's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    They keep calling it a concept, but like everyone is saying it appears to be in a pre-production status. Perhaps they have raised the standards for concept vehicles?

Heck, it could have been budget influenced as in a design-build scenario. Develop the final product as you are developing the concept, it works most of the time in the building construction fields.
    That's what I've been telling (web)designers for years!
    Skip the whole "creative process" with endless varieties of sketches and mock-ups. I know you have a good time doing it, but let's cut the nonsense and just produce the masterpiece we all agree you're capable of. By next week, please.

If someone at Toyota said something similar, I feel validated :-)
    - My designer colleagues never took to this request seriously, though.
    Last edited by Sarlacc; 11-03-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    Likes Chambers liked this post