Cars
    in between cars
    Likes (Received)
    so you mean to tell me that was all an act... lol

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
    Yes the airbags will not be able to be eliminated or it will never pas the N.A. side impact crash test requirements.
    You mean side curtain AND seat airbags are required in every vehicle now? Is there even enough room between the seat and door for the two to work properly together in the S-FR?

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
    You mean side curtain AND seat airbags are required in every vehicle now? Is there even enough room between the seat and door for the two to work properly together in the S-FR?
    Totally depends on the whole structure and crumple zones of the car. There will need to be at least one or the other but probably both. The whole car is too small to have the impact beams and buckle points that would reduce the requirement.

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichitaka05 View Post
    Admin,
    I was hoping you would comment on this Blog article and clear up where the tech data came from. If it is indeed still just rumour then that should be made clear. It is understood that you may not be able to say much but the way it was presented it appeared to be at least semi official.

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Interesting. But can we trust a man who doesn't even know how to spell Genchi Genbutsu (現地現物)?
    I think not.

Also, "a well–informed Toyota manager"... No name given...
    I can call one of those right now and get an earful of
    "If it's on the internet and I haven't been told then it's lies. LIES, I say. Oh, and the next generation GT86 will be hybrid. But don't tell anyone, it's a well-guarded secret."

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    Interesting. But can we trust a man who doesn't even know how to spell Genchi Genbutsu (現地現物)?
    I think not.

Also, "a well–informed Toyota manager"... No name given...
    I can call one of those right now and get an earful of
    "If it's on the internet and I haven't been told then it's lies. LIES, I say. Oh, and the next generation GT86 will be hybrid. But don't tell anyone, it's a well-guarded secret."
    Reading through the man's other post can be very entertaining actually. Unfortunately he is not the only one stating the specs are not official.
    Likes Sarlacc liked this post

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
    Reading through the man's other post can be very entertaining actually. Unfortunately he is not the only one stating the specs are not official.
    I don't see what's so unfortunate. This only means it's not certain this car will have a toothless 1.5L/130PS engine, it could get a higher power/weight ratio than the ZN6, which would be cool.
    Likes Tcoat, adprokid liked this post

Cars
    FRS
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    I don't see what's so unfortunate. This only means it's not certain this car will have a toothless 1.5L/130PS engine, it could get a higher power/weight ratio than the ZN6, which would be cool.
    Agree 100%!
    Likes Sarlacc liked this post

Cars
    '13 FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    Could put the 1.8L that is in the Scion iM...but then the 0-to-60 time the S-FR could get with that motor would throw everyone with an 86 into a hissy fit... LOL
    Likes Neme303, Tcoat, Sarlacc, adprokid liked this post

My FR-S: 13' Asphalt, 6MT

Cars
    None yet
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
    Could put the 1.8L that is in the Scion iM...but then the 0-to-60 time the S-FR could get with that motor would throw everyone with an 86 into a hissy fit... LOL
    I'll never understand why so many people get bent out of shape about these engines. It was the same with the S-chassis cars, Everyone and their grandma wanted an SR, RB, Turbo-ing the KA, or VQ when everytime i would so much as utter "CA" they did everything but beat me with rocks.

I never got it, Take a slightly under powered engine, and do light tuning and improvements and then you have and engine that's stable.

call me old fashioned but I've never liked big power. I like care that are light and fun. That's why I like the FR-S and that's why i like the S-FR
    Likes Tcoat, Hoahao, carboy liked this post

Cars
    2009 FA5
    Likes (Received)
    So many FT86Club people on here lol.

I have a very hard time believing these specs. Here is why:

Recent Toyota Mazda collaboration means they can use their Miata platform.

The location of the tow hook and the HVAC vents indicates strong Mazda DNA.

There is no radio. Only logical location for a radio in that interior is a iPad on top of dash thing like the Miata.

Toyota does not have a RWD McPherston strut platform that small except the AZ6 and I don't think they can just "shrink" a platform.

It is much more cost effective to stretch a platform than to shrink a platform. Therefore - stretched Miata.

Finally: - No auto option? Imagine presenting that to the board - lets build a car and avoid 60% of the potential market. I am sure it will have an Auto.

Either way I am very excited.

Cars
    Civic Si
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-q View Post

I have a very hard time believing these specs. Here is why:

Recent Toyota Mazda collaboration means they can use their Miata platform.

The location of the tow hook and the HVAC vents indicates strong Mazda DNA.

There is no radio. Only logical location for a radio in that interior is a iPad on top of dash thing like the Miata.

Toyota does not have a RWD McPherston strut platform that small except the AZ6 and I don't think they can just "shrink" a platform.

It is much more cost effective to stretch a platform than to shrink a platform. Therefore - stretched Miata.

Finally: - No auto option? Imagine presenting that to the board - lets build a car and avoid 60% of the potential market. I am sure it will have an Auto.

Either way I am very excited.
    Have you seen this site's interview with Toyota at the show?

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/show...mp-A-interview

It's a 100% Toyota car so it's got nothing to do with Miata or Mazda.

And according to the Toyota rep in the interview, there will be both auto and manual option.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Cuz who ever posted the SFR in Other car thread, used this forum, so we just reg lol

Yeah, like callie stated, in the interview, it's gonna be Toyota in-house project... which I'm surprised to see.
    Balance is everything

Cars
    2009 FA5
    Likes (Received)
    Cuz who ever posted the SFR in Other car thread, used this forum, so we just reg lol

Yeah, like callie stated, in the interview, it's gonna be Toyota in-house project... which I'm surprised to see.
    It makes no sence to me at all. Toyota could not afford the AZ6 and had to basically use an Impreza GR rear end and boxer engine.

This car will sell in even less numbers, I presume, yet it is 100% toyota?

And how do you explain an almost identcial HVAC vents placement as the Miata? Wierd.

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    It makes no sence to me at all. Toyota could not afford the AZ6 and had to basically use an Impreza GR rear end and boxer engine.

This car will sell in even less numbers, I presume, yet it is 100% toyota?

And how do you explain an almost identcial HVAC vents placement as the Miata? Wierd.
    Not disagreeing with you, but Toyota rep stated its all in-house. Toyota rep stated, it's still a concept car & not a final production ver. SFR Concept have over 75% of interior from the twins. 80% from ND... but it's still okay, it's just a concept still.

As for FRS/BRZ using GR rear is cuz twins are made at FHI factory & not Toyota factory. they wanted to make minimal stress on FHI. Can't say too much detail (cuz idk the full detail myself).
    Balance is everything