Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Cars
    Toyota S-FR
    Likes (Received)

Post Toyota S-FR tech specs revealed (130 HP / 2160 lbs)

We've been tipped on the S-FR technical specs and pricing target. Here are the important figures (translated from below):

• 2NR-FKE engine (tuned version of the one used in Japan's Corolla, now with direct injection and revised ports)
    • 1.5L inline 4 cylinder dual-overhead cam (DOHC)
    • 130 PS / 15.1kgf.m (109.2 lb-ft torque)
    • Aisin 6 Speed Transmission only (no automatic)
    • Fuel consumption: 20.0km/l (47 mpg) (Japanese test cycle)
    • Regular gasoline (no premium needed)
    • Weight: 980kg (2160 lbs)
    • Suspension: Front struts / double wishbone rear
    • 3990 mm length, 1695 mm width, 1320 mm height, 2480 mm wheelbase
    • Estimated price (Japan) is $10k (USD equivalent) less than the current Miata
      • Note: 1.5L Miata is $20.8k including tax in Japan, S-FR is estimated to be $12.5k including tax

Keep in mind that this is for the Japanese market S-FR. Other markets (such as U.S.) may or may not be powered by a different engine and may receive an automatic option.

Name:  sfr-specs-1.jpg
Views: 22388
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  sfr-specs-2.jpg
Views: 25113
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  sfr-specs-3.jpg
Views: 22181
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  sfr-specs-4.jpg
Views: 21276
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  sfr-specs-5.jpg
Views: 22600
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  sfr1.jpg
Views: 35117
Size:  263.1 KB

Name:  sfr4.jpg
Views: 21296
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  sfr7.jpg
Views: 24696
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  sfr2.jpg
Views: 21628
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  sfr3.jpg
Views: 21194
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  sfr5.jpg
Views: 21255
Size:  151.7 KB
    Likes Sarlacc, Callie, Pufferfish, Panzer, einzlr liked this post

Cars
    Miata
    Likes (Received)
    I dig them specs! That's amazing pricing if they hold to the same % in the US!

130hp doesnt sound like much but 2160 pounds is not a lot to pull around. This thing is gonna be fun.
    Likes einzlr liked this post

Cars
    WRX
    Likes (Received)
    No auto wow. Really aiming this one at the enthusiasts. So it's a Toyota engine after all. What does the 2NR-FKE rev up to?
    Likes Administrator liked this post

Cars
    Civic Si
    Likes (Received)
    That price tho, very very nice. Gonna be so fun to whip this thing around and i gotta say it looks better in these pics.

Cars
    Golf
    Likes (Received)
    I'm pleased with the specs. Will the US possibly see - bigger engine and an auto tho? #pleasedontlynchmeforaskingaboutauto

Cars
    Toyotas
    Likes (Received)
    Probably not many have heard of the 2NR-FKE engine. It's the engine used in the current Corolla in Japan. It has more power in the S-FR by way of direct injection and revised port design.

Features include Atkinson-to-Otto cycle capability, electric VVT-iE and intake port shape optimized for strong vertical tumble flow, near-hybrid maximum thermal efficiency of 38%
    Last edited by Toyo Guy; 10-09-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Cars
    FR-S
    Likes (Received)
    In case anyone is interested, the link to that site that listed those specs. LINK

Also, some of those info were already there back in May. LINK

Cars
    2013 FR-S: Kosei K1 TS 17x7, OE camber bolts, Berk single-exit muffler delete
    Likes (Received)
    Diggin' these specs, but still don't expect them to be the same in the US. We'll see though. I love the idea of it having a Toyota sourced engine!

Cars
    Mazda beater
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    [*]2NR-FKE engine (tuned version of the one used in Japan's Corolla, now with direct injection and revised ports)[*]1.5L inline 4 cylinder dual-overhead cam (DOHC)[*]130 PS / 15.1kgf.m (109.2 lb-ft torque)
    ...[*]Suspension: Front struts / double wishbone rear
    Hmm... Looking at these items, colour me unimpressed...

I obviously have no previous experience with the 2NR-FKE, but considering its roots, and I can't say my expectations for it would be all that high. DI will help with both power and fuel economy; revised ports would likely improve air flow (both intake and exhaust), but the combustion chamber remains a decidedly undersquare design. Compared to the 1.5L DJ Demio / ND Miata engine, you can see for the numbers yourself:

Toyota 2NR-FKE
    bore x stroke: 72.5 mm 90.6 mm

Mazda SkyActiv-G 1.5
    bore x stroke: 74.5 mm 85.8 mm

You can easily see that while both engines are undersquare / long stroke type, the 2NR-FKE has both a smaller bore and a (much) longer stroke. With such a long stroke, I can't imagine why the engine would be rev happy at all, or how it could achieve a high redline. You may not care about rev-ability or high redline, and a robust low end is usually good for everyday street driving, but you almost always want the opposite in a sporty car.

The suspension is a strut type setup. Do I really need to say anything more? Yes, supporters of the car will say Porsches run on struts as well, and yes, the FRS also drives phenomenally well with its struts. Still, I'd argue that these cars drive well in spite of having a strut suspension setup, not because of the strut setup. Look at any double wishbone car that gets driven aggressive and pay attention to their tire wear. Now look again at those cars that run with struts. That difference is all you really need to see.

The S-FR can obviously still do well in spite of these shortcomings... but like I said... it's in spite of, not because of...
    Precision, Smoothness & Control

Cars
    2013 Toyota GT86
    Likes (Received)
    I was kind of hoping they'd fit something like the 4U-GSE engine from the GT86 in this.
    Last edited by Sarlacc; 10-10-2015 at 03:58 AM.

Cars
    500 Abarth
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry if I missed it being confirmed somewhere in another thread but this info doesn't say what chassis/platform the car is built on. Do we know that yet?

I've read speculation (but no actual confirmation) that it might share the Miata platform. Or is this a new ground up platform by Toyota

Cars
    500 Abarth
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    I was kind of hoping they'd fit something like the 4U-GSE engine from the GT86 in this.
    I remember a big talking point from the FR-S engineers was that they used that engine because it was able to sit so low in the car, for better CoG. Will be interesting to see if they were able to achieve the same with the 2NR-FKE in the S-FR.
    Likes Sarlacc liked this post

Cars
    Mazda beater
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Sorry if I missed it being confirmed somewhere in another thread but this info doesn't say what chassis/platform the car is built on. Do we know that yet?

I've read speculation (but no actual confirmation) that it might share the Miata platform. Or is this a new ground up platform by Toyota
    I would not expect this car to be build on anything related to the ND Miata at all.

First of all, the car is running on front struts. A body derived from the Miata would almost certainly use double wishbones in the front since that's what the Miata uses. And then you look at the engine -- it's Toyota's own 2NR-FKE. If the chassis is borrowed / modified from a Miata, it would make more sense to just use the Miata engine as well since that would save a LOT of re-engineering to make things fit.
    Precision, Smoothness & Control

Cars
    BRZ
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    Hmm... Looking at these items, colour me unimpressed...

I obviously have no previous experience with the 2NR-FKE, but considering its roots, and I can't say my expectations for it would be all that high. DI will help with both power and fuel economy; revised ports would likely improve air flow (both intake and exhaust), but the combustion chamber remains a decidedly undersquare design. Compared to the 1.5L DJ Demio / ND Miata engine, you can see for the numbers yourself:

Toyota 2NR-FKE
    bore x stroke: 72.5 mm 90.6 mm

Mazda SkyActiv-G 1.5
    bore x stroke: 74.5 mm 85.8 mm

You can easily see that while both engines are undersquare / long stroke type, the 2NR-FKE has both a smaller bore and a (much) longer stroke. With such a long stroke, I can't imagine why the engine would be rev happy at all, or how it could achieve a high redline. You may not care about rev-ability or high redline, and a robust low end is usually good for everyday street driving, but you almost always want the opposite in a sporty car.

The suspension is a strut type setup. Do I really need to say anything more? Yes, supporters of the car will say Porsches run on struts as well, and yes, the FRS also drives phenomenally well with its struts. Still, I'd argue that these cars drive well in spite of having a strut suspension setup, not because of the strut setup. Look at any double wishbone car that gets driven aggressive and pay attention to their tire wear. Now look again at those cars that run with struts. That difference is all you really need to see.

The S-FR can obviously still do well in spite of these shortcomings... but like I said... it's in spite of, not because of...
    I think, it's too early to call it.

A lot of ppl were upset when Toyota announced that they gonna use Subie's FB engine and everyone compared it... but they improved the engine & made it good (enough).

I'm pretty sure they'll do something to this engine as well
    Balance is everything

Cars
    Miata
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichitaka05 View Post
    I think, it's too early to call it.

A lot of ppl were upset when Toyota announced that they gonna use Subie's FB engine and everyone compared it... but they improved the engine & made it good (enough).

I'm pretty sure they'll do something to this engine as well
    +1 it's already been revealed to add DI and revised port design. There may be more performance enhancements not yet revealed.