PDA

View Full Version : Will the S-FR be Japan only?

Tectonic
10-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Leaving aside that there may not be a huge market for this type of car here, I think the biggest hint that this will be a Japanese/Asia only car is the name.

No way they have a FR-S and a S-FR selling at the same time in the same market. It'll confuse the hell out of everyone. Non enthusiasts will be scratching their head wondering if they looked up the wrong car on the internet.

Even if they lost their minds and badged it a Toyota, the fact they sell it at same dealership will cause confusion.

What you guys think? Any chance this makes it to the US under a different name or are this being brought to the Japan market just to take on the likes of the Honda S660 roadster?

Vracer111
10-08-2015, 10:12 PM
I will be GREATLY saddened and depressed if this doesn't come to the US! :(

Being that this is an ND miata sized vehicle and for a slightly different driver than that of the FR-S though...why wouldn't it come here?
Maybe a name change would be a good thing though...it would be cool to have an actual 'name' name for the car... I think it has enough character for a catchy name...

DAEMANO
10-08-2015, 11:12 PM
If it's based of the MX-5 platform then there is no reason not to bring it to the U.S.

Matt W
10-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Really hope it comes to the UK! Ideal for our small roads.

shark_bait88
10-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Plenty of manufacturers have a naming structure that's incredibly confusing to most people, let alone enthusiasts.

I have a feeling this is bound for the international market. It fits into the 3 model sports car structure that Toyota has been saying they're planning on.

Also, there's definitely a market for cars like this here.
Small, cheap, funky style: Look at Kia and Hyundai.
Affordable small sports car with good handling: FR-S/BRZ, Miata, and Fiat 124 Spider. Nissan played with the idea of the IDx, but then the bean counters got involved. -_-

Mac
10-09-2015, 08:04 AM
It's not a Kei car and is big enough to sell in the US (larger than Miata already) so I don't see why they wouldn't bring it here.

why?
10-09-2015, 08:09 AM
The car was rumored with the twins. I'd be shocked if it does not come. Toyota wants the old school 3 car lineup of sports cars back. Hopefully to stay.

Tectonic
10-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Plenty of manufacturers have a naming structure that's incredibly confusing to most people, let alone enthusiasts.

I have a feeling this is bound for the international market. It fits into the 3 model sports car structure that Toyota has been saying they're planning on.

Also, there's definitely a market for cars like this here.
Small, cheap, funky style: Look at Kia and Hyundai.
Affordable small sports car with good handling: FR-S/BRZ, Miata, and Fiat 124 Spider. Nissan played with the idea of the IDx, but then the bean counters got involved. -_-

Confusing is one thing but using the same 3 letters in diff order? That's almost intentionally doing so. Anyhow I agree it will be for the international market (sadly). Maybe gets rebranded for the US into a "fun" name.

Don't get me started on the IDx, that is exactly the type of car that we need more of in the US and it had good styling to boot. Damn bean counters, if they get their way with the S-FR it may just get turned into a crossover SUV.

Ichitaka05
10-09-2015, 10:12 AM
It's all up to how much "demand" they get.

I can tell you Toyota USA wasn't planning to bring 86/FRS into US... til how hit it was at NYIAS and high demand it was after, so they decided to bring it to US.

Pufferfish
10-09-2015, 10:17 AM
The upcoming US auto shows (LA and Detroit) might be a good sign if it's coming to the US or not. If they show it at either show then it might be a sign we'll get it.

shark_bait88
10-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Confusing is one thing but using the same 3 letters in diff order? That's almost intentionally doing so. Anyhow I agree it will be for the international market (sadly). Maybe gets rebranded for the US into a "fun" name.

Don't get me started on the IDx, that is exactly the type of car that we need more of in the US and it had good styling to boot. Damn bean counters, if they get their way with the S-FR it may just get turned into a crossover SUV.

I always point to BMW's naming structure. Look within a given series and the monikers make little sense now. Luckily for them, most of the public just likes to be able to say, "I drive a BMW!" They could care less what comes after the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Lauren
10-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Given the whole Scion brand thing, it is fairly likely the name will change as they did for the GT86 in the US.

I reckon there's a reasonable market for it in Europe though. People like more compact cars here, it's much closer to what you see in the Japanese market.

Ichitaka05
10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
The upcoming US auto shows (LA and Detroit) might be a good sign if it's coming to the US or not. If they show it at either show then it might be a sign we'll get it.

I know Scion is releasing some new concept car in upcoming LAAS... but highly doubt it'll be SFR. Maybe, again MAYBE if it does well in TAS, it'll come to NYIAS.

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 07:01 PM
It would be incredibly short-sighted of Toyota not to design for the Americas and EMEA markets.

If they manage to keep the price point below $15K, it would sell like, well, Camrys!

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 07:30 PM
I am still not convinced that they will bring it to North America. I have no basis for that opinion other then a gut feeling. There are many cars that have been good sellers that never hit the market here for one reason or another. Many are due to not meeting the crash test criteria or emissions requirements. The Evo didn't make it into Canada until the X since it didn't meet the low speed damage maximum permitted repair cost until they stretched the nose and provided more protection for the inter cooler. These could have the same sort of issues. Again not based on any know facts just a theory.

Neme303
10-09-2015, 08:07 PM
I don't think we need to worry anymore

http://www.scion.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/scion-concept-car-2015.jpg

TORRANCE, Calif. (Oct. 6, 2015) – Following the recent introduction of the Scion iM 5-door hatchback and the sporty Scion iA sedan, the youth division of Toyota is preparing to further expand its lineup with a third all-new vehicle, beginning in 2017. The World Debut of the next Scion concept will take place at the Los Angeles Auto Show, November 18-19, 2015.

Scion continues to be the test laboratory division for Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. From its start in 2003, Scion’s goal was to offer products and processes that stand apart from the crowd. Scion offers distinctive vehicles that reflect owners’ passions with a model line-up that includes the all-new iM five-door hatchback, the all-new iA sports sedan, the iconic xB urban utility vehicle, the tC sports coupe, and the FR-S rear-wheel drive sports car. Scion also appeals to a youthful audience by offering a simple, no-haggle buying experience and by engaging with potential customers in meaningful and creative ways. For more information, visit www.scion.com.

You can just FEEL the group buys on Toyota Badges being made

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Wow is that a real live Scion press release I see? That is a rare creature indeed since they usually let the click baits do all the work for them.
Please disregard my prior doubtful post.

zigzagz94
10-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Wow is that a real live Scion press release I see? That is a rare creature indeed since they usually let the click baits do all the work for them.
Please disregard my prior doubtful post.

Don't worry Motoring.au will be citing "inside sources" from this forum stating the S-FR will be confirmed for North America at the LA auto show.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Don't worry Motoring.au will be citing "inside sources" from this forum stating the S-FR will be confirmed for North America at the LA auto show.

With a 300hp half BMW half Mazda twin turbo engine and selling for under $15k. Confirmed through a "high ranking official".

zigzagz94
10-09-2015, 10:23 PM
With a 300hp half BMW half Mazda twin turbo engine and selling for under $15k. Confirmed through a "high ranking official".

Don't forget the Targa Hybrid KERS top of the line TRD variant

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't forget the Targa Hybrid KERS top of the line TRD variant

How do I pre-order?

zigzagz94
10-09-2015, 10:44 PM
How do I pre-order?

Send me your down payment and I'll make sure you're first in line and no ADM ;)

Tectonic
10-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Not to nitpick because I feel like it has to be talking about this car, but everything I've read has pointed to the S-FR debuting in Tokyo. This Scion PR says LA. I'd chalk it up to a change of plans if not for the fact that it was published only a few days ago.

gymratter
10-10-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Tada san has said the sub 86 car will be a global model.

gymratter
10-10-2015, 06:27 PM

Earlier reports said the LA Scion car could be a rebadge Toyota C-HR.

Comparison time

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zOq_cyNmnrw/VfnB43VFU0I/AAAAAAAAJ6w/M-13n7i2KUI/s1600/Toyota-C-HR-3.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fm0P9uwhLIU/Vhee-KDipDI/AAAAAAAAO_k/-YNlsvmrw-s/s1600/TOYOTA_S-FR_006.jpg

Sarlacc
10-11-2015, 06:03 AM
It would be incredibly short-sighted of Toyota not to design for the Americas and EMEA markets.
I don't think this car will sell well in Africa :-)

Ultramaroon
10-11-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't think this car will sell well in Africa :-)

Why not? Worse than the gt86?

Sarlacc
10-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Why not? Worse than the gt86?

I don't think the GT86 has been selling well in Africa either, but I might be wrong. I have no numbers.
And I realize, quite painfully, that I can't explain why without insulting a whole continent where I've met some very nice people; so I'd like to drop the issue.

Mac
10-12-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm pretty sure Tada san has said the sub 86 car will be a global model.

Well that'd be straight from the horse's mouth. I know he's mentioned both this sub-86 car and a model above the 86, but didn't remember he said they'd be global. You have the article or video?

Nevermore
10-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Is there any point to keep it Japan only? Would flipping the driver seat cost too much? I can't think of anything besides cost limiting the potential market. It's all economics. Profit has to be above a certain point to be worth it, but what could keep profit for something like this down so much that it's not worth it to spread it out. It's a missed opportunity, not bringing it here.

Ichitaka05
10-12-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure SFR will be coming to LAAS. If it's a big hit in TAS, it might hit NYIAS next year... but not sure it's gonna be displaying this year.

Socalrider
10-12-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure SFR will be coming to LAAS. If it's a big hit in TAS, it might hit NYIAS next year... but not sure it's gonna be displaying this year.

I just hope that they don't show us like 3 very different concepts before the production model like they did with the FT86 I/II and FR-S concepts. It was a constant guessing game what the FR-S was actually going to end up looking like.

shark_bait88
10-12-2015, 01:40 PM
I just hope that they don't show us like 3 very different concepts before the production model like they did with the FT86 I/II and FR-S concepts. It was a constant guessing game what the FR-S was actually going to end up looking like.

The version teased already looks very close to a production ready model. They're showing a lot more detail than most early iterations of a concept, and it looks far too tame to be such either. I have a feeling not much will have changed once these start rolling off the assembly lines.

Ichitaka05
10-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Hm... personally, I liked that they had MkI, Mk1.5, MkII & MkIII FT-86 Concepts, but that's just me.

Ultramaroon
10-12-2015, 08:19 PM
I don't think the GT86 has been selling well in Africa either, but I might be wrong. I have no numbers.
And I realize, quite painfully, that I can't explain why without insulting a whole continent where I've met some very nice people; so I'd like to drop the issue.

Totally cool with that. :)

Sarlacc
10-13-2015, 02:17 AM
My local (Norway) Toyota insider reports that this will most likely be an Asia only car and not designed with EU regulations in mind at all.
He also concedes that those decisions are not made firmly yet.

Tcoat
10-13-2015, 02:46 AM
The South Africa section of FT86 Club is large so I would have to presume they have sold many there. Now central or north Africa probably not so many.

Sarlacc
10-13-2015, 02:56 AM
The South Africa section of FT86 Club is large so I would have to presume they have sold many there. Now central or north Africa probably not so many.

Ok, yeah, my experiences are from north and central Africa only. It's a huge continent.
- I've crossed the equator on foot twice in Africa, btw :-)

Matt W
10-13-2015, 03:30 AM
My local (Norway) Toyota insider reports that this will most likely be an Asia only car and not designed with EU regulations in mind at all.

I really hope that isn't the case!

Ichitaka05
10-13-2015, 05:47 AM

If I was you, I would take that info as a grain of salt. Not til all the official ppl announce it at the auto show.

Tcoat
10-13-2015, 06:43 AM
If I was you, I would take that info as a grain of salt. Not til all the official ppl announce it at the auto show.

If they even make an actual commitment beyond the whole "we might", "if we do" or "there is a possibility" statements. This concept has been around for a while so I would expect to see a strong statement if it is indeed coming to N.A. and Europe. If the statement is wishy washy or double talk then it may not be a good sign.

Sarlacc
10-13-2015, 07:26 AM
I really hope that isn't the case!

Oh sure. I've been around the block enough times to regard anything but a signed contract as rumors ;-)

whoster
10-13-2015, 07:33 AM
gosh i really do hope they bring it here otherwise i joined this forum for nothing

Tcoat
10-13-2015, 07:34 AM
gosh i really do hope they bring it here otherwise i joined this forum for nothing

If nothing else I can guarantee you that we will at least be entertaining! So not for nothing.

whoster
10-13-2015, 07:37 AM
If nothing else I can guarantee you that we will at least be entertaining! So not for nothing.

gosh i hope so, then it would REALLY have been for nothing.

Ichitaka05
10-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Oh sure. I've been around the block enough times to regard anything but a signed contract as rumors ;-)

Yeah... it'll be long wait to see how this car will turn out.

It could be same thing as FT-86 Concept... for 2yrs no new info and then BAM! Toyota and Scion announcing the final ver.

...or it could be like FT-1. Just tease/torture all the Supra for years and years.

All the holidays are coming up. I'll be checking the forums more often lol

cyde01
10-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Haha wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me. Way back in 2006 when Mazda showed the Kabura I joined the Kabura forum hoping it would be released. It never happened and several of us former Kabura forum members went on to join the FT86Club and now the sfrforums! lol

Ultramaroon
10-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Ok, yeah, my experiences are from north and central Africa only. It's a huge continent.
- I've crossed the equator on foot twice in Africa, btw :-)

No big deal by itself. It's how deeply those feet ventured into each hemisphere that tells the story.

Ultramaroon
10-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Ok, actually it's really cool.

Sarlacc
10-14-2015, 04:24 AM
No big deal by itself. It's how deeply those feet ventured into each hemisphere that tells the story.
You're absolutely right :-)

In this case the cool thing was being on a guided safari for 7 days in an old Toyota HiAce mini bus.
Stopping at a tourist trap site on the equator and proceeding to stroll leisurely across the line and back again while having a cig was no big deal at all ;-)
I just like saying "I've crossed the equator on foot twice" because it's technically true and sounds kinda awesome.

This, however, was genuinely awesome.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4154/4982394094_bb177cb2da.jpg
Samburu Wildlife Reserve, Kenya

Tcoat
10-14-2015, 05:11 AM
You're absolutely right :-)

In this case the cool thing was being on a guided safari for 7 days in an old Toyota HiAce mini bus.
Stopping at a tourist trap site on the equator and proceeding to stroll leisurely across the line and back again while having a cig was no big deal at all ;-)
I just like saying "I've crossed the equator on foot twice" because it's technically true and sounds kinda awesome.

This, however, was genuinely awesome.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4154/4982394094_bb177cb2da.jpg
Samburu Wildlife Reserve, Kenya

It would be much more impressive if you said you had twice been carried over the equator by a cheetah!

Sarlacc
10-14-2015, 05:41 AM
It would be much more impressive if you said you had twice been carried over the equator by a cheetah!

That's a leopard... but yeah, any cat able to carry my blubber laden carcass anywhere would be very impressive indeed.
- Most of the wild felines (and quite a few house cats I've encountered) would have no trouble killing me, though.
This one male lion in Masai Mara gave me that cold stare that communicated quite clearly "you feel safe in that metal box, you smelly piece of juicy meat; but I dare you to take one step out here. Then we'll dance."

- Anyway, feel free to get back to topic at any point. I apologize for my digressions.

whoster
10-14-2015, 10:04 AM
If this car is being developed (mostly) in-house as Tetsuya Tada's project (along with the Toyobaru Twins and the forever upcoming Supra resurrection), it SHOULD be sold outside of Japan, at least for it to be a sound business case.

Whether it'll make the journey across the Pacific will be a different story.

Ichitaka05
10-14-2015, 11:09 AM
If this car is being developed (mostly) in-house as Tetsuya Tada's project (along with the Toyobaru Twins and the forever upcoming Supra resurrection), it SHOULD be sold outside of Japan, at least for it to be a sound business case.

Tada-san is overseeing the project, but he isn't Chief Engineer for this project.

strat61caster
10-14-2015, 03:55 PM

Everything outside of Japan is "across the Pacific"

whoster
10-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Everything outside of Japan is "across the Pacific"

touche, sir.

but i meant to the americas

Ultramaroon
12-02-2015, 10:52 PM

That's a leopard...

lolol - startled mrs. ultra.

cyde01
12-03-2015, 10:31 AM

nah it would be more impressive if it was him carrying the baby impala in his mouth.

Boost Lee
12-04-2015, 05:23 AM
I hope I am wrong but I don't think we are going to be sold this car here in the usa. If for some reason we do get it I highly doubt it will be sold at a reasonable price of less than $22,000 fully loaded. I also doubt if it makes it into US production it will be sold as Toyota, and I also doubt this will put out enough power to live up too the hype, or at least the performance of the Mazda MX-5. My best guess is if this makes it as a US production car, it will have a base price of $25,000 or more, and it will be sold as a Scion with some lame alpha-numeric name with less than 200hp.
Perfect example of this is the new Mazda MX-5 with a starting price of $25,000 with only 150hp. For the S-FR not to be a flop it has to beat the price and performance of the MX-5, or otherwise why would people choose too buy it over the MX-5? Its only saving grace over the MX-5 is its a practical car because of its backseat. And that wont be enough too make the pure and proper RWD sport car enthusiast buy it over the MX-5. And with the high price tag this will most likely have, wont make the non enthusiast looking for cheap reliable transportation want to buy it either. For this car too succeed in sales and continue to be sold and make it into the regular dealer lineup, for the next 5-10 years. It will have to be sold in the cheap economy car range, with a starting price of $17,000 or less. Which wont happen either.

Dragawn
12-04-2015, 05:36 AM
For this car too succeed in sales and continue to be sold and make it into the regular dealer lineup, for the next 5-10 years. It will have to be sold in the cheap economy car range, with a starting price of $17,000 or less. Which wont happen either.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for though, that they're going to make it (one of) the cheapest sportscars with a starting price in the 12-17k range, the 20k-30k range is saturated as F with hot hatches, mustang and GT86. I'd like to see them just modify an existing platform to be RWD (or a cheaper GT86 platform), and an existing engine but lightly modified, as rumoured. The cheap coupe market right now is empty (outside of the ageing Abarth 500 maybe), it'd be a weird tactical decision to aim for a price range thats saturated instead of one loaded with competitors. Besides, if they price the SFR at 20k$ it wont only get competition from the MX5, but from secondhand GT86's aswell.

Might be just my opinion, or dream even, but I think they really should aim for a true entry-level sportscar.

Vertignasse
12-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm hoping the same. It would be fantastic if it could be around the same price as a Honda Fit. It will certainly have to be under 25k, if it's meant to fit below the FR-S in the envisioned Toyota sport car trio.

I currently can't afford to own an FR-S as a second car, but I could probably afford a 15k S-FR. Fingers crossed.

MR2 Spyder
12-15-2015, 03:38 PM
First post on this forum, I think the Car is really in the advanced stages of development, not just a mockup or a designers dream, the photo package shows to me the details have been worked out and the finial decisions on markets to place the vehicle are being made. The Scion/Subaru/Toyota FRS/BRZ/FT86 sales are slowing and dealers are forced to discount inventories, I am also surprised at the used car market for these vehicles, I have alerts everyday for low mile 2013, 2014 used going 16k-17k with very low miles. frankly I was well on my way to buying one, until sFR car arrived on the prototype circuit. I am replacing a 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder a concept following a formula, mid engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seater. I have high hopes Toyota decides to sell the car here. I think production needs to be limited, based on real demand, maybe order only. Will the idea that this car is based on the Mazda MX-5 please go away. Toyota Owns part of Subaru, Yamaha and is a top selling car around the world. Best thing that's happened to Mazda is Ford has sold control of the company back to Mazda.

Asone
12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Will the idea that this car is based on the Mazda MX-5 please go away. Toyota Owns part of Subaru, Yamaha and is a top selling car around the world. Best thing that's happened to Mazda is Ford has sold control of the company back to Mazda.

Not for S-FR. But just FYI since it sounds like you don't know about this.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150513/OEM01/150519954/toyota-mazda-form-partnership-to-share-technologies-confront-cost

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150517/OEM/305189954/what-drew-mazda-toyota-together?

kinetis
12-21-2015, 11:28 AM
I don't think it's a big deal if it sold side by side beside the FR-S with the S-FR name. They are both sporty cars, but each has their own look so it would be hard to mix the two up.
It's gotta be less confusing than being at an Infiniti dealership (Q30:Compact Hatch, Q50:Sport Sedan, Q60:Coupe, Q70: LuxoSedan, Q70L:Luxobarge)

Ichitaka05
12-22-2015, 04:08 PM
I don't think it's a big deal if it sold side by side beside the FR-S with the S-FR name. They are both sporty cars, but each has their own look so it would be hard to mix the two up.
It's gotta be less confusing than being at an Infiniti dealership (Q30:Compact Hatch, Q50:Sport Sedan, Q60:Coupe, Q70: LuxoSedan, Q70L:Luxobarge)

Yeah... Infiniti is really confusing. I think, BMW win the "confuse the customer" category imo

MR2 Spyder
12-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Hey Thanks Asone,

I had no idea, from reading, its based on the 'Mazda 2 sedan' well now I have something to research. Thanks for the heads up but its not based on the MX-5. How about this question, I have seen it referred to as a 2+2, is it possible that such a small car with a 'fast back' rear end could also seat 2 small people?

Asone
12-30-2015, 06:46 PM
How about this question, I have seen it referred to as a 2+2, is it possible that such a small car with a 'fast back' rear end could also seat 2 small people?

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91&d=1444792241

I think "possible" in this case is relative. You can decide if it's possible or not by looking at the picture on the top right. It's like someone could say "It's possible a person could bench press 500 lbs.", but it doesn't mean you can. Similarly, Toyota could say "A person could sit in the rear seat of S-FR.", but it doesn't mean you can.

VegasTerp
01-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Bad news for American fans of the S-FR. Automotive News had this to say about Toyota's display at the upcoming Detroit auto show: "The S-FR, a tiny rwd coupe shown in October at the Tokyo Motor Show, won't be coming to the U.S. and therefore won't be in Detroit."

Not sure about Automotive News' source, but it is a very reliable, industry publication.

swimstarguy
01-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Bad news for American fans of the S-FR. Automotive News had this to say about Toyota's display at the upcoming Detroit auto show: "The S-FR, a tiny rwd coupe shown in October at the Tokyo Motor Show, won't be coming to the U.S. and therefore won't be in Detroit."

I hope that isn't the case. I was really looking forward to seeing an update on this.
We have a week to see if it's true or not.

Callie
01-05-2016, 11:44 PM
So, so disappointing if true. Meanwhile Mazda rejoices the Miata gets a free pass.

Also not happy about them teasing it in the US shows for no purpose. If not to gauge feedback, what then? I would think the markets they planned bring it to were more or less set already.

carboy
01-06-2016, 06:37 PM
This is not a good way to start 2016. Hope more details are provided.

Ichitaka05
01-07-2016, 12:18 PM

Not sure about Automotive News' source, but it is a very reliable, industry publication.

Where's the reference site or publication site? Cuz I got different info bout that

VegasTerp
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Here is the link to the story I quoted.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160104/OEM03/301049919/high-end-vehicles-and-crossovers-will-take-center-stage

I hope your source is more accurate than the paper's.

Boost Lee
01-08-2016, 07:08 AM
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91&d=1444792241

I think "possible" in this case is relative. You can decide if it's possible or not by looking at the picture on the top right. It's like someone could say "It's possible a person could bench press 500 lbs.", but it doesn't mean you can. Similarly, Toyota could say "A person could sit in the rear seat of S-FR.", but it doesn't mean you can.
I don't care how many people, or if people of what size can fit back there. I just care that its rwd and manual with a backseat because japanese cars like that don't really exist in the usa anymore besides the handfull of cars that cost way more than they should. I only care that the backseat is there just in case I have to pick somebody up in a emergency situation when I may have a passenger already. I don't expect more than 2 people of my size (6-4/220lbs) to fit in the car comfortably in general. As far as I am concerned that back seat realistically to me. Makes it one more thing on the spec sheet that makes it seem like a actual car and not a toy. Im hoping the backseat is the excuse Toyota needs to tell themselves, that producing this car is practical. Because the world doesn't need this car, rwd purist enthusiast do.

Ichitaka05
01-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Here is the link to the story I quoted.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160104/OEM03/301049919/high-end-vehicles-and-crossovers-will-take-center-stage

I hope your source is more accurate than the paper's.

You quoted

Toyota

It's expected to be a quiet show for Toyota. The S-FR, a tiny rwd coupe shown in October at the Tokyo Motor Show, won't be coming to the U.S. and therefore won't be in Detroit. Toyota's press conference on the second day of the show, squeezed between suppliers' press events, will feature news about its infotainment offerings.

But it doesn't say Toyota stated S-FR won't be released in US. It can take that comment as, S-FR concept won't be coming to US, so it won't be in Detroit. Currently S-FR is in TAS next to S-FR Racing Concept, so that's why it's not coming to US... Detroit.

VegasTerp
01-11-2016, 02:48 PM
You quoted

But it doesn't say Toyota stated S-FR won't be released in US. It can take that comment as, S-FR concept won't be coming to US, so it won't be in Detroit. Currently S-FR is in TAS next to S-FR Racing Concept, so that's why it's not coming to US... Detroit.

I guess it depends upon the meaning of "won't be coming to the US." Fingers crossed the authors were only referring to the NAIAS and not the US market.

Asone
01-11-2016, 05:39 PM
You quoted

I agree with Ichitaka05. If I read it carefully, I take it as that specific concept car that was at the Tokyo Motor Show won't be coming to U.S. If that car isn't coming to U.S., then it won't be at the Detroit Mortor Show. One concept car not coming to one motor show here does not mean the car won't be released here.

Callie
01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Even if you guys are reading it correctly, if you step back and look at this... why would a car manufacturer build a concept (meant to garner feedback) and not show it in one of their most important markets if they plan to offer the production version of the car there?

We're all in the same boat and want to see the car here, but I believe this is wishful thinking. The signs have not been good.

Vertignasse
01-12-2016, 04:11 PM
The only hope I have comes from the fact that Toyota has several times mentioned that they have a vision/plan for a lineup including three sport cars, and that they want the S-FR to be positioned at the bottom of this trio, below the FR-S and the "next Supra" (whatever that thing is called now). I won't bother providing links here because I'm confident all of the crowd on this forum has already read those comments from Toyota. Now I personally don't think they would talk about such a grand vision to journalists at auto shows if they only had the Japanese market in mind. Of course, that could very well be wishful thinking from my part. Again, fingers crossed.

Asone
01-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Even if you guys are reading it correctly, if you step back and look at this... why would a car manufacturer build a concept (meant to garner feedback) and not show it in one of their most important markets if they plan to offer the production version of the car there?

We're all in the same boat and want to see the car here, but I believe this is wishful thinking. The signs have not been good.

That's very true and logical. I want to keep my hope up, but it's not looking so good :(

Ichitaka05
01-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Because there is only ONE S-FR concept & ONE S-FR Racing Concept... & Toyota is showing it off both this weekend in TAS. It's kinda hard to ship S-FR to Detroit AND Tokyo within same week.

Hope that make sense ;)

Asone
01-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Because there is only ONE S-FR concept & ONE S-FR Racing Concept... & Toyota is showing it off both this weekend in TAS. It's kinda hard to ship S-FR to Detroit AND Tokyo within same week.

Hope that make sense ;)

Yes! I feel happier today. :D

Dan76Japan
01-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Some nice detail pictures here:

http://autos.goo.ne.jp/news/263088/image.html?news_image_id=1181191

I still really like the nav/audio solution...Just plug in your smartphone!

http://cdn.autos.goo.ne.jp/news/151029/imgs_zoom1_967194.jpg

You can just catch a glimpse of the rear seats...Think they will be useable for kids?

http://cdn.autos.goo.ne.jp/news/151029/imgs_zoom1_967168.jpg

PZero
01-20-2016, 11:23 PM

Hope that make sense ;)

Thank you for giving us hope with this reasonable explanation.

And I hope this is the only reason is not at Detroit, and not because of what some articles are saying -- that it wasn't brought to the show because there's no plans to offer it in N. America.

Vertignasse
01-21-2016, 04:52 AM
Some nice detail pictures here:

http://autos.goo.ne.jp/news/263088/image.html?news_image_id=1181191

http://cdn.autos.goo.ne.jp/news/151029/imgs_zoom1_967194.jpg

You can just catch a glimpse of the rear seats...Think they will be useable for kids?

http://cdn.autos.goo.ne.jp/news/151029/imgs_zoom1_967168.jpg

Wow I didn't realize the entire roof was one big piece of clear glass! I hope this stays in the production model!

Benji
01-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the pics! I really like the audio solution too but I think companies should go further and offer versions of things like the SFR in a barely road legal version that doesn't have anything that people want to swap out/upgrade with after market stuff, like the speakers, don't include any at all, just the wiring and mounting points or the wheels/suspension, provide the CHEAPEST steelies and shocks known to man just to make "road legal" on the proviso that you are going to be swapping them out anyway and that you don't judge the performance of the car as it comes.

Ichitaka05
01-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow I didn't realize the entire roof was one big piece of clear glass! I hope this stays in the production model!

In the interview, the designer said, prob not.

Callie
01-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Thank you for giving us hope with this reasonable explanation.

And I hope this is the only reason is not at Detroit, and not because of what some articles are saying -- that it wasn't brought to the show because there's no plans to offer it in N. America.

I think we'll get a good idea in early March depending on whether it shows up in Geneva. It would be an awesome sign if they brought it there, if it's only for Japan they won't be showing it anywhere else.

Vertignasse
01-27-2016, 04:21 PM
In the interview, the designer said, prob not.

Aww... I guess that really was too good to be true. I just hope they manage to keep the weight down using all the tricks in the book.

Panzer
01-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Aww... I guess that really was too good to be true. I just hope they manage to keep the weight down using all the tricks in the book.

It's a small car with a small engine so it'll need all the help it can get in the weight department. A heavier glass roof at the highest point of the car would probably hurt performance.

@Ichitaka05 you have any contacts at Toyota that can at least confirm or deny if the S-FR will be Japan market only?

Ichitaka05
01-28-2016, 03:10 PM
It's a small car with a small engine so it'll need all the help it can get in the weight department. A heavier glass roof at the highest point of the car would probably hurt performance.

@Ichitaka05 you have any contacts at Toyota that can at least confirm or deny if the S-FR will be Japan market only?

Sadly I don't. I wish I did for sure though

Panzer
01-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Sadly I don't. I wish I did for sure though

Darn that's too bad. Hope they'll actually confirm or deny it once and for all at one of the upcoming auto shows this spring.

Mac
02-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Darn that's too bad. Hope they'll actually confirm or deny it once and for all at one of the upcoming auto shows this spring.

Geneva is starting in 1 month. Fingers crossed boys.

Pufferfish
02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Now that Scion is dead, I'd love to see a total Toyota revival in the U.S. with a Supra, FR-S, and S-FR! But I'm scared that unfavorable exchange rates (for the yen) and low gas prices (more crossover/SUV sales) will make the business case for the S-FR worse :(

Callie
02-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Now that Scion is dead, I'd love to see a total Toyota revival in the U.S. with a Supra, FR-S, and S-FR! But I'm scared that unfavorable exchange rates (for the yen) and low gas prices (more crossover/SUV sales) will make the business case for the S-FR worse :(

Ending the Scion brand definitely allows Toyota to become sporty again. It was a real shame that they badged the FR-S as a Scion since the car was a revelation and coulda given Toyota brand itself a sportier image. But now they don't have to badge smaller sportier cars as Scion.

Road & Track even thinks that Toyota should bring back the Celica now that Scion is dead -- http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28086/give-me-celica-or-give-me-death/

Ichitaka05
02-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Ending the Scion brand definitely allows Toyota to become sporty again. It was a real shame that they badged the FR-S as a Scion since the car was a revelation and coulda given Toyota brand itself a sportier image. But now they don't have to badge smaller sportier cars as Scion.

Road & Track even thinks that Toyota should bring back the Celica now that Scion is dead -- http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28086/give-me-celica-or-give-me-death/

Well, there have been big rumor bout Celica is coming back... but I'm not sure how true that is & it's a different topic.

Haysoos
02-06-2016, 08:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMO5zqDBWM that's my plea for Toyota to BRING BACK THE CELICA! Let's get the community together to bring it back. Even if we have to stretch & lengthen the SFR and give it more power and make that the new Celica :cool:

Captain Snooze
02-07-2016, 08:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMO5zqDBWM that's my plea for Toyota to BRING BACK THE CELICA! Let's get the community together to bring it back. Even if we have to stretch & lengthen the SFR and give it more power and make that the new Celica :cool:
What kind of car do you mean when you say "Celica"?
Celica spanned 7 different generations, 36 years and came in rwd, fwd and awd.
A lot of them were rubbish driver's cars.

swimstarguy
02-07-2016, 09:19 PM

I had a fifth gen, a 1991. It was a turd.

I'd rather them work on making the SFR than bringing back the celica which was mostly crap.

Haysoos
02-07-2016, 09:46 PM
What kind of car do you mean when you say "Celica"?
Celica spanned 7 different generations, 36 years and came in rwd, fwd and awd.

Personally I would love if they could redo the First gen's charm, a comfortable stylish and reliable grand tourer with sporty characteristics. What would make me personally excited would be the successor to the st205 ^_^

Gazoo racing is the team the raced and helped the GT-Four line from st165 - st205. If they can create that car, and give me a grand touring option I'd probably tattoo myself with ad's to pay for it flat out.

Panzer
02-09-2016, 07:07 AM
I had a fifth gen, a 1991. It was a turd.

I'd rather them work on making the SFR than bringing back the celica which was mostly crap.

Funny thing is R&T's memory of the Celica seems rosier than it should be.

Title: The Death of Scion Is an Opportunity for Toyota to Return to its Performance Roots

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28086/give-me-celica-or-give-me-death/