PDA

View Full Version : SF-R interior - what stays and what goes?

Panzer
10-10-2015, 10:04 PM
I rather like the S-FR concept's interior. Which parts do you guys think would make production and what won't?

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53&d=1444293916

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54&d=1444293916

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55&d=1444293940

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56&d=1444293940

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57&d=1444293940

Tcoat
10-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Doubt most of those nice gauges will make production. Not if they are trying for a sub $20k price point at any rate.

Vracer111
10-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Doubt most of those nice gauges will make production. Not if they are trying for a sub $20k price point at any rate.

Yeah, with the estimated price point no way you are going to get that nicer than FR-S display screen - going to be cheap needle gauges with no oil pressure/oil temp readout... If there's one thing I'd want in the interior it would be that dash display! :(

I foresee the door pockets and door cards being simpler in design - less hexagonally in pattern...

HVAC controls changed as well (those are way better than what comes on the base FR-S!)

Hazard switch will not be that nice...going to be the simple cheesy triangle button.

Seats will probably not have the weird pattern details on them or the different colored piping...

Steering wheel will probably be bare without any controls on it... which is fine by me!

What looks to be a glass roof hopefully won't make production...

I foresee an LCD display headunit being installed and cluttering up the dash unfortunately...because mandated backup camera requirements coming into effect and the like... :mad:

Ichitaka05
10-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Well, they are using a lot of 86 parts (like steering wheel, seats, shift knob, ebrake & few others)... but don't expect digital guage to be in the production nor any other fancy stuff

carboy
10-11-2015, 03:54 AM
1. LCD - I hope that the full LCD display does make it into production, or at lease some type of hybrid. The interior is so sparse it would be nice to see that as a main feature.
2. A/V - My preference is double din but I'm also excited to see this new audio setup for smartphone or USB device. Not sure how much it cuts down on cost but I like the clean look. A small covered compartment would be nice to hide a USB stick, all I can see now is the A/V platform (maybe another USB in glove box, if it has one). Backup cam into LCD display or rear view mirror.
3. Seat - I like the FRS seats and hope they stay.
4. Roof - I want to try the panoramic roof, if made available as an option.
5. Armrest - For DD I hope to see a bit of soft materials on doors but not a huge deal.
6. Center console - I'm sure the placement of the ebrake is good but it maybe shave it down a little on the rear or different console design. I'm okay with a single cup holder.

Sarlacc
10-11-2015, 04:25 AM
I hope they remove the ugly square controls on the steering wheel - looks like an afterthought.
And I'd like to see a proper armrest and heated seats, like the GT86.

Lauren
10-11-2015, 04:26 AM
I think you'll end up with the usual Scion downgrading of spec as happened with the FRS.

Probably in the UK we'll end up with the nice stuff at a much higher price though.

I really hope they keep the dash though, after using a low spec dash in Japan in a poverty spec GT86, there is a serious difference to the nicer higher spec one. The interior I think looks production ready, so I hope it doesn't change at all. Wonder if they'll just put a felt rooflining in though as it might be noisy if that is just a sheet stuck to the inside of the roof.

I think most will want a head unit and sat nav option, but there is plenty of room for that above the USB ports.

gymratter
10-11-2015, 08:03 AM
I really like the interior. It looks simple and modern. It also looks really production ready; unlike with other crazy looking concepts. I hope it stays really close to the concept.

Did a simple flip to see how it would look as a LHD.

Nevermore
10-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Anyone else think that e-brake just looks weird?

Callie
10-11-2015, 03:05 PM
There isn't that much concept (i.e. wild and unlikely for production) about this car's interior and exterior which is good to see. Hate seeing a concept that I really like only to not have it be made because it's just too wild and unrealistic, or be made but have much of its styling and features nerfed for production.

In the S-FR concept interior, things that likely definitely wouldn't make production are the digital gauge (shame), glass roof and the small controller screen on the steering wheel. Seats also wouldn't be race buckets.

Callie
10-11-2015, 03:07 PM

Where's there an e-brake? I just see physical handbrake.

Sarlacc
10-11-2015, 03:26 PM

It has been my understanding that the terms "parking brake", "hand brake" and "emergency brake" are used as being synonymous and interchangeable. Have I got it wrong?

And yes, I think it looks weird.

Callie
10-11-2015, 03:27 PM
It has been my understanding that the terms "parking brake", "hand brake" and "emergency brake" are used as being synonymous and interchangeable. Have I got it wrong?

Oh I thought by e-brake he was referring to a switch-activated electronic parking brake.

carboy
10-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Agree IMO

Vracer111
10-11-2015, 05:11 PM
There isn't that much concept (i.e. wild and unlikely for production) about this car's interior and exterior which is good to see. Hate seeing a concept that I really like only to not have it be made because it's just too wild and unrealistic, or be made but have much of its styling and features nerfed for production.

In the S-FR concept interior, things that likely definitely wouldn't make production are the digital gauge (shame), glass roof and the small controller screen on the steering wheel. Seats also wouldn't be race buckets.

Those are the stock 86/FR-S seats, just with some aesthetic plastic bumps and piping put on them, and reworked upper and lower cushions because of narrower interior width...

I really hope the Recaro Sportster CS will fit in there, I'd hate to sell that seat!

Nevermore
10-11-2015, 05:13 PM

I wasn't aware there was ever a difference between them. Sarlacc is right though, I'm just using the term loosely/synonymous.

Also, do you guys think this car will stay keyless/push start? I just noticed the button. Is that a feature they can keep on a car this cheap?

Vracer111
10-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I will not buy if it doesn't have the push-start button...

Tcoat
10-13-2015, 07:11 AM

Key start!
http://api.ning.com/files/VJI7RNK9DYXki7QQXOXlfEYtFJUUpPyTvC3ziNdk4Gwowhgd86 HLq2x3cwe3NDQlGIwmMnr1PTtLwjw65ItVXXFDKYDFt-aY/1214801smartWindupKey.JPG

Ichitaka05
10-13-2015, 08:25 AM

What? You don't like Push-start?

Nevermore
10-13-2015, 08:48 AM

No, he's saying it must have that push-start for him to consider buying. I asked if such a feature would be put on a cheap car. He's saying if it doesn't have the button, it's a no go for him.

Ichitaka05
10-13-2015, 09:11 AM
No, he's saying it must have that push-start for him to consider buying. I asked if such a feature would be put on a cheap car. He's saying if it doesn't have the button, it's a no go for him.

Thanks! It's long Tuesday morning. I can't read lol

shark_bait88
10-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks! It's long Tuesday morning. I can't read lol

Double-negatives don't make it any easier. ;)

Vracer111
10-13-2015, 11:41 AM

No, what the other have said are correct....

but I should add this to make it clear...

;)

EVN666
10-14-2015, 03:59 AM
I think a radio will be added somewhere and a cigarette lighter.

Vracer111
10-14-2015, 05:56 PM
If by cigarette lighter you mean 12V outlet, there is already one in it...

EVN666
10-14-2015, 07:27 PM
If by cigarette lighter you mean 12V outlet, there is already one in it...

I mustn't have looked close enough :)

GhostRai
10-14-2015, 11:31 PM
That shifter boot looks odd to me, so perfect and cone shaped.

whoster
10-15-2015, 07:31 AM
That shifter boot looks odd to me, so perfect and cone shaped.

gonna guess it's a rubber/poly situation for longevity / pricing's sake.

Nafe86
10-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I hope it is a keystart, not a push button!!
I specifically bought my 86 without push button :)

ydooby
10-16-2015, 05:24 AM
This car should be all about cheap driving fun. All the "cool" stuff in the concept car, e.g. push-start/smart key, LCD instrument panel, climate control, glass roof, steering wheel controls, LED headlights, etc., should go, or at least be optional. Keep the base price absolutely low to keep the wife approval factor high.

Nevermore
10-16-2015, 07:46 AM
This car should be all about cheap driving fun. All the "cool" stuff in the concept car, e.g. push-start/smart key, LCD instrument panel, climate control, glass roof, steering wheel controls, LED headlights, etc., should go, or at least be optional. Keep the base price absolutely low to keep the wife approval factor high.

I agree with all of this. The less, the better. Though I will admit, glass roofs are awesome...

twomix
10-18-2015, 12:02 AM
I found there are not that much to get out. First LCD display is gorgeous. But they got those display sacrificing audio, navigation displays. SO I think it is reasonable to demand those LCD display for not have anything else around it. I just wish that mp3 controller to be much rounder or hexagon type if they really like it. That square is only thing that bothers, thats all.

twomix
10-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Well in the concept picture it has push-start button(right side to the air conditoner controL)

adidragan
10-18-2015, 11:13 PM
What I personally want in this thing would be a center console with double DIN, so I can put in a radio (if one doesn't come factory stock) and a CB, arm-rest, cupholders (laugh all you want, you know they're useful), sunroof(just cause), and get rid of those god-awful bright plastic inserts in the seats and doors.

Ichitaka05
10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
What I personally want in this thing would be a center console with double DIN, so I can put in a radio (if one doesn't come factory stock) and a CB, arm-rest, cupholders (laugh all you want, you know they're useful), sunroof(just cause), and get rid of those god-awful bright plastic inserts in the seats and doors.

Just a curiosity why sunroof is needed for anyways?
I used to own 2 cars with sunroof... but I've never used it. Correction, used it few times, but didn't see much point opening it.

whoster
10-19-2015, 01:49 PM
used the sunroof almost every time when i had them.

ironically, only put the top down twice in the Miata when I used to own one of those (had it for 1.5 years, and i'm in socal)

adidragan
10-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Just a curiosity why sunroof is needed for anyways?
I used to own 2 cars with sunroof... but I've never used it. Correction, used it few times, but didn't see much point opening it.

I just like having a sunroof.

carboy
10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
On such a small car wouldn't the sunroof be really tiny? I'm okay with no sunroof on this particular car. More headroom and reduced price. But I did love the massive sunroof on my LS430.

Ichitaka05
10-21-2015, 06:04 PM
On such a small car wouldn't the sunroof be really tiny? I'm okay with no sunroof on this particular car. More headroom and reduced price. But I did love the massive sunroof on my LS430.

I agree w you. Big luxury car having sunroom make sense. Small car like this, is it worth it?

zigzagz94
10-21-2015, 06:50 PM
12 years of owning my eclipse and used the sunroof less than 10 times.

adidragan
10-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Look, just because you personally don't want or even see the need of having a sunroof, doesn't mean other people who do shouldn't have the ability to get one. 90% of the time they're optional extras anyway. And I'm willing to get that optional extra even if I never use it. I barely use the one I have on my civic too, but I still like having it there.

Ichitaka05
10-25-2015, 11:11 AM
Look, just because you personally don't want or even see the need of having a sunroof, doesn't mean other people who do shouldn't have the ability to get one. 90% of the time they're optional extras anyway. And I'm willing to get that optional extra even if I never use it. I barely use the one I have on my civic too, but I still like having it there.

I feel like it's opposite. Most of luxury/limited ver comes w the sunroof as a standard and not able to take em off as an option. I would of loved to have my Impreza 2.5RS (coupe) came with no sunroof, but that was an standard for 2.5RS. Few other cars are that way as well.

But I do think, if they do make one w sunroof, I wonder they gonna use glass style like tC?

whoster
10-26-2015, 08:25 AM
I have a slight inkling that the glass roof was used due to headroom issues.

The metal pillars would contribute to torsional rigidity and safety while the glass roof improves upon headroom, while adding to the aesthetics at the same time.

cyde01
10-26-2015, 11:21 AM
i'm not a fan of sunroofs either. every sunroof i had eventually leaked rain.

Dan76Japan
11-08-2015, 05:23 PM
If this is Japan only it will NOT have a sunroof. Japanese market cars (including imports) almost never have them. I'm not sure of the reason but I think it has to do with the Japanese aversion to suntans. You see women driving in their cars wearing arm length gloves in the summer to prevent getting even a minor tan.

What I'm really liking about the interior (though it is a concept) is the lack of a stereo system. In this age all we need is a usb plug and a few minor controls. I think most of us are playing media through and using the NAV on our smartphones.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151102092710-toyota-sfr-11-super-169.jpg

motonerd14
11-24-2015, 11:14 AM
It needs a glovebox or storage bin of some kind. I live in an area where break-ins are very common and leaving stuff out on the seat or parcel shelf is a bad idea. Doesn't need to be huge, just something to fit a small camera, phone, few other oddments.

OKASFR
11-25-2015, 12:13 AM
It needs a glovebox or storage bin of some kind. I live in an area where break-ins are very common and leaving stuff out on the seat or parcel shelf is a bad idea. Doesn't need to be huge, just something to fit a small camera, phone, few other oddments.

Then don't leave things visible, put them in the trunk...

Hoahao
11-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Maybe a box that slides out from under the seat