PDA

View Full Version : Manual trans only - yay or nay?

Tectonic
10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm just digesting the leaked specs posted in the other thread and wondering if it's a mistake making the S-FR manual only. If you want a true Miata competitor why not offer an optional auto?

Just curious you guys prefer it manual only for a pure enthusiast car or something more mainstream?

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm just digesting the leaked specs posted in the other thread and wondering if it's a mistake making the S-FR manual only. If you want a true Miata competitor why not offer an optional auto?

Just curious you guys prefer it manual only for a pure enthusiast car or something more mainstream?

As much as the enthusiasts may want a MT only I think it would be a death sentence for the car in North America. These cars (or any other for that matter) need more then just the car crowd to buy them to survive. It has been made very clear that this is intended to introduce people to the whole sports car concept as a entry level vehicle and as as such an auto is going to be a requirement.

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Many MT enthusiasts are the death sentence for their own transmissions. All markets need an automatic.

Nevermore
10-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm surprised by the auto support, but I like it. I think all it needs is the FR-S auto and it's good. There's no reason both camps can't get along. Just one or the other is silly.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised by the auto support, but I like it. I think all it needs is the FR-S auto and it's good. There's no reason both camps can't get along. Just one or the other is silly.

There is nothing that bugs me more then people that think MTs are some magical thing and you are not a driver if you don't have one. Once upon a time nobody gave a crap if a car was an auto or manual and nobody looked down on the auto drivers. Then the 90s came along and a whole generation figured they were elite and better drivers just because they shift gears.
Do I prefer a manual? Yes and would not buy any car that doesn't have one but that doesn't mean everybody else should be the same. Modern autos can be as good or better then a manual but since the "do you even clutch bro" crowd came along some will never see that.

Neme303
10-09-2015, 08:10 PM
There is nothing that bugs me more then people that think MTs are some magical thing and you are not a driver if you don't have one. Once upon a time nobody gave a crap if a car was an auto or manual and nobody looked down on the manual drivers. Then the 90s came along and a whole generation figured they were elite and better drivers just because they shift gears.
Do I prefer a manual? Yes and would not buy any car that doesn't have one but that doesn't mean everybody else should be the same. Modern autos can be as good or better then a manual but since the "do you even clutch bro" crowd will never see that.

it should also be noted that there are some people with disabilities and they are unable to drive stick.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 08:21 PM
it should also be noted that there are some people with disabilities and they are unable to drive stick.

Yep, but disabilities, stop and go traffic, etc aside there is no reason on earth that somebody shouldn't drive an auto simply because they want too.

Tectonic
10-09-2015, 08:47 PM
I like the level headed thinking. I expected most guys, especially the early guys coming on to be hardcore and bag on autos. I agree most with Tcoat's reasoning that this is supposed to be an entry level car that introduces people to toyota's sports car lineup. It doesn't make a lot of sense to start off with a manual only car and then offer autos in the FRS and presumably (guessing) the future MKV Supra.

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 09:32 PM
The only time I've ever bagged on the auto is to add to an already running joke. And with the hope that I was so over the top that my trolling was obvious. No one ever need defend their choices.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 09:40 PM
The only time I've ever bagged on the auto is to add to an already running joke. And with the hope that I was so over the top that my trolling was obvious. No one ever need defend their choices.

Oh as you know I have joked about it as well but some guys truly believe they are so much better drivers just because they shift YO.

zigzagz94
10-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I would never buy an auto but want to see it offered just to spur sales. Facts are most people buy autos and not having one would make this an even more niche car than it already is.

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Oh as you know I have joked about it as well but some guys truly believe they are so much better drivers just because they shift YO.

Kids. I've destroyed a couple transmissions in my life.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Kids. I've destroyed a couple transmissions in my life.

Ironically enough the only tranny I have blown (I know, I know) was the auto in my 70 R/T. Taking it to 4000 rpm and hammering it from neutral to drive wasn't good for it. Who knew? A rebuild and shift kit fixed that issue though.

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Ironically enough the only tranny I have blown (I know, I know) was the auto in my 70 R/T. Taking it to 4000 rpm and hammering it from neutral to drive wasn't good for it. Who knew? A rebuild and shift kit fixed that issue though.

Ironic indeed! My first was one of the stupidest things I've ever done - the infamous reverse burnout. What an idiot.

Years later I learned how long I could rest my hand on the shift lever before wearing out the fork/slider. That was the point where I got serious about improving my habits.

Vracer111
10-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Personally I'd never own an auto transmission vehicle, but the news is mixed for me...means the chances of it being sold in North America just plummeted some. I don't mind if someone wants an automatic..it's their choice.... not for me though. The reason I also think it's manual only is because of the role they have for this car - Low price with focus on smooth and precision handling even more than the 86... pretty much means manual only right there, especial since economy cars with tiny motors burdened with automatic transmissions have never been that great in their driving experience; a more powerful motor would be different.

Lauren
10-10-2015, 12:27 AM
I think it's far more different in Europe though and the UK. More of our cars are manual than auto and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

But in the UK, a manual is for the purists, it's more involving and more fun and more popular.

In saying all that, autos are very popular in Japan, so I'm sure there will be an auto gearbox option.

gymratter
10-10-2015, 06:29 PM
IMO, if Toyota wants this car to have good to decent sales; than a automatic is a must.

cyde01
10-11-2015, 12:58 AM
I gotta admit i'm part of the "do you even clutch bro" crowd lol, but i still voted for auto because i think it increases the chance of the car being successful. They've already stated they are targeting first time buyers, would make all the more sense to offer an auto.

cinephile
10-11-2015, 02:57 AM
Interesting. I personally like that they're starting out or keeping it M/T only. With only 130hp to kick around I think that's a great way to encourage wringing out the engine and having fun with the car. I can't imagine a trick & fast shifting automatic trans will stay with the weight target and keep the price point down. If that doesn't suit a potential buyer there are other models in the lineup.

I mean, so far Ford has been doing this with their Focus ST an Fiesta ST and they seem to be doing fine. Fiat did the same with early 500T's and 500 Abarths.

Nothing against folks who want an automatic though.