PDA

View Full Version : SFRforums live S-FR photos from 2015 TMS with Q&A interview

Administrator
10-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Here it is, the Toyota S-FR concept from its world debut at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show!

Our Q&A interview conducted by a representative we had in Tokyo.

CCgW5CG1M3I

Q&A Summary:

Q: Production in North America?
A: This is a concept car and we are not providing any specific details regarding future marketing plans yet.

Q: What is the car’s weight? What materials were used to achieve it?
A: Numerical weight is not being disclosed. The intent is to make the car very light and it will be achieved without the use of special materials.

Q: What kind of engine and power output is planned?
A: Still a concept car so no specifics have been decided in this regard.

Q: Plans for turbocharging?
A: Same answer.

Q: What chassis was this built on? Is it built on the 86 chassis?
A: It is not built on the 86 and it will be smaller than the 86 chassis.

Q: What type of transmissions (auto/manual) are planned?
A: The concept is a 6-speed manual transmission, but in the future if they bring it to market, they will explore different transmission options. Probably will be both auto and manual transmissions.

Q: What type of suspension? Stiffer like the 86 or softer like the Miata?
A: Still just a concept car, but we would like the car to have a smooth ride.

Q: Is this an in-house project or a collaboration?
A: This is completely Toyota.

Q: Fastback or liftback design?
A: Normal trunk is what we are envisioning because hatchback would add weight. Stiffness of the body is another consideration (against hatchbacks).

Q: Will the roof be a hardtop, targa top, glass roof, etc?
A: We are using glass for the auto show concept, but due to weight and stiffness considerations it will likely be a regular metal hardtop.

Photos!

17317417517617717817918018118218318418518618718818 9190191192193194195196197198199200201202

Administrator
10-27-2015, 09:13 PM
20320420520620720820921021121221321421521621721821 9220221222223224225226227228

DjB
10-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Nice work...... Toyota are keep their cards close to their chest.

ydooby
10-28-2015, 05:15 AM
"Q: Will the roof be a hardtop, targa top, glass roof, etc?
A: We are using glass for the auto show concept, but due to weight and stiffness considerations it will likely be a regular metal hardtop."

That right there confirms that a production model is already underway.:D

Ichitaka05
10-28-2015, 05:38 AM
Wow! Thank you for asking those question! Nice photos!

Sarlacc
10-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Thank you so much for making and sharing this!
Very interesting info in interview and the photos reveal differences from what we've seen before.

Tcoat
10-28-2015, 06:03 AM
"Q: Will the roof be a hardtop, targa top, glass roof, etc?
A: We are using glass for the auto show concept, but due to weight and stiffness considerations it will likely be a regular metal hardtop."

That right there confirms that a production model is already underway.:D

Curious as to how you come to that conclusion based on that comment? They were very clear that this is still in the concept stage throughout the interview. Even this response only says "likely".

ydooby
10-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Curious as to how you come to that conclusion based on that comment? They were very clear that this is still in the concept stage throughout the interview. Even this response only says "likely".Because this answer directly points out a difference between the production model and the concept car.

Neme303
10-28-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm inclined to believe that this is almost production ready. hell, even the FT-86 I and II concepts didn't look this ready when they debuted

carboy
10-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Great photos! Looks like I could just drive that off the platform. Very detailed concept version.

ydooby
10-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Unlike in the earlier official pics, the LCD control panel on the steering wheel is black rather than yellow, which makes it much less of an eyesore IMHO.
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216&d=1446015892

vs. the earlier PR pic:
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56&d=1444293940

ydooby
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
What's the knob with L and R for? And what's the button on its left?
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=220&d=1446015892

Tectonic
10-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks for this coverage. Good job. Its obvious Toyota is not close to discussing any production possibilities. I knew they were going to leave us hanging on the question of which markets it will come to. Guess we'll have keep fingers crossed. Hopefully there's another concept or more info to keep us all entertained.

Sarlacc
10-28-2015, 07:48 AM
What's the knob with L and R for? And what's the button on its left?
The knob with L/R is a joystick for adjusting outside mirrors. Turn it to select mirror and push up, down, left, right to adjust mirror.
The other button is probably manual folding mirrors/automatic folding mirrors.

ydooby
10-28-2015, 07:58 AM
The knob with L/R is a joystick for adjusting outside mirrors. Turn it to select mirror and push up, down, left, right to adjust mirror.
The other button is probably manual folding mirrors/automatic folding mirrors.Ah thanks it's pretty apparent now that you've explained it. Pretty production-ready stuff there.

Sarlacc
10-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Ah thanks it's pretty apparent now that you've explained it. Pretty production-ready stuff there.

It's a quite interesting placement of those buttons.
On the GT86 they're on the driver side door panel.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80975&d=1401949193

PZero
10-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Guess we'll have to see if they bring it out to the Detroit show. If so it would seem they are testing the US waters to see what the reaction and interest level is.

Ichitaka05
10-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Curious as to how you come to that conclusion based on that comment? They were very clear that this is still in the concept stage throughout the interview. Even this response only says "likely".

We got way better answers than say... FT-86 Concept came out. I wanted to kill all the auto blogger w lame questions.

I'm inclined to believe that this is almost production ready. hell, even the FT-86 I and II concepts didn't look this ready when they debuted

Actually Mk2 have production chassis. They just changed the cosmetic (front & rear bumper, head/taillights & few other things).

Guff
10-28-2015, 09:38 AM
This looks awesome! Big props to Mr. Admin for the juicy interview! Toyota is playing it close, but I think we can glean enough to see that they are thinking of it as more than a vaporware concept. That in itself is very exciting!

ydooby
10-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Any better shot of the rear seats than this one? Got ISOFIX? Foldable?:rolleyes:
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224&d=1446015924

Neme303
10-28-2015, 03:03 PM
We got way better answers than say... FT-86 Concept came out. I wanted to kill all the auto blogger w lame questions.

Actually Mk2 have production chassis. They just changed the cosmetic (front & rear bumper, head/taillights & few other things).

the FT-86 I had that weird zipper dash and a white interior, no way any of that was making it to production. and the FT-86 II Had no interior shots whatsoever albeit, the shape as similar to production.

that's what i was pointing out ^^;

OKASFR
10-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the awesome interview. The Japanese answers were exactly as the translator said, still a concept.

However, I think the biggest "tells" to the fact that this is more of a pre-production car lie in the look of it.

1. It has mirrors of a standard size, with side indicators in the mirror that are standard Toyota parts, not some weird shape.
2. Most of the interior switches, aside from the LCD panels look to be standard parts.
3. The wheels, and brake components are standard parts, just painted and "dressed up"
4. The door lock components visible in the pictures are standard Toyota parts.
5. It has TOE HOOK cut outs in the bumpers.

It has a lot of things that the FT-86 I and II didn't have in concept trim.

As I live in Japan, I will be looking forward to picking up one of the first s-Fr when they go on sale.
Unfortunately, I'm too far from Tokyo to afford to go to the Motorshow...

Neme303
10-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the awesome interview. The Japanese answers were exactly as the translator said, still a concept.

However, I think the biggest "tells" to the fact that this is more of a pre-production car lie in the look of it.

1. It has mirrors of a standard size, with side indicators in the mirror that are standard Toyota parts, not some weird shape.
2. Most of the interior switches, aside from the LCD panels look to be standard parts.
3. The wheels, and brake components are standard parts, just painted and "dressed up"

As I live in Japan, I will be looking forward to picking up one of the first s-Fr when they go on sale.

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/showthread.php?105-Toyota-S-FR-First-Official-Video!

It also drives so yeah I'd say, more pre-production than concept

bach415
10-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Hmm the steering wheel looks a lot like the gt86's. I wonder if it would be easily swapped over. Not liking that lcd on the steering wheel.

Nevermore
10-29-2015, 03:56 AM
It's weird that he's dodging the questions that much since it looks so production ready. I guess Toyota just likes keeping things secret.

Sarlacc
10-29-2015, 04:06 AM

Very good observations, and I think you're right.

When you get your S-FR... please take lots of photos and post them...
That'll be as close as I'll ever be to this car I'm afraid, unless it makes it to Europe after all.

VegasTerp
10-29-2015, 04:34 AM
I really like the car, and am persuaded that it will make it into production. The video and follow-up interview were useful in that they provided some concrete information (metal roof, choice of transmissions, one of three sports cars, etc). That's exciting as I will be looking for a new, sporty car in 2017. However, I am very disappointed that Toyota will not say if it will be exported to the US. Unless that threshold question is answered, I believe it will be hard for me, and a large number of potential American buyers, to maintain interest in the concept. If Toyota is following this board, and they intend to sell the S-FR stateside, I hope they will not pass on an opportunity to build a loyal fan-base ahead of the first sales.

ydooby
10-30-2015, 09:35 AM
If you squint a little bit it almost looks like a roadster with the black roof and a background!:eek:
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175&d=1446015323

Chambers
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
It's a quite interesting placement of those buttons.
On the GT86 they're on the driver side door panel.

Toyota put the window and lock controls in the middle for the last gen Celica, it was part of the keeping things cheap thought process. Potentially there could be as few as 6-8 wires in each door (with speakers) vs 12ish (depending on the complexity of the window controls).

They keep calling it a concept, but like everyone is saying it appears to be in a pre-production status. Perhaps they have raised the standards for concept vehicles?

Heck, it could have been budget influenced as in a design-build scenario. Develop the final product as you are developing the concept, it works most of the time in the building construction fields.

Sarlacc
10-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Toyota put the window and lock controls in the middle for the last gen Celica, it was part of the keeping things cheap thought process. Potentially there could be as few as 6-8 wires in each door (with speakers) vs 12ish (depending on the complexity of the window controls).

So it could be seen as a subtle nod to the Celica? That's cool.

They keep calling it a concept, but like everyone is saying it appears to be in a pre-production status. Perhaps they have raised the standards for concept vehicles?

Heck, it could have been budget influenced as in a design-build scenario. Develop the final product as you are developing the concept, it works most of the time in the building construction fields.

That's what I've been telling (web)designers for years!
Skip the whole "creative process" with endless varieties of sketches and mock-ups. I know you have a good time doing it, but let's cut the nonsense and just produce the masterpiece we all agree you're capable of. By next week, please.

If someone at Toyota said something similar, I feel validated :-)
- My designer colleagues never took to this request seriously, though.

GhostRai
10-30-2015, 09:28 PM
The interior looks so simple I love it! I really do hope it is priced as cheap as they keep pushing it to be. It would be great to have a choice like: a base Corolla/Yaris or the S-FR?

Ichitaka05
10-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Re-looking at all the photos & my eyes are playing game with me. Is it neon yellow or neon green... lol

Hm... Price of Corolla/Yaris would be pretty interesting to see... but it might hit higher than that

Sarlacc
10-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Re-looking at all the photos & my eyes are playing game with me. Is it neon yellow or neon green... lol

It's chartreuse :cool:

Ichitaka05
10-31-2015, 03:00 PM
It's chartreuse :cool:

Not sure which state you're in... but it's too early for alcohol here for me lol

Sarlacc
10-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Not sure which state you're in... but it's too early for alcohol here for me lol

Hey, it's 5pm somewhere. Cheers!

I meant the color, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(color)