PDA

View Full Version : Toyota S-FR Concept Official Preview!

Administrator
10-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Update:

Official specs have been posted @

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/showthread.php?10-Toyota-S-FR-tech-specs-revealed-(130-HP-2160-lbs)

Here is your first preview of the new Toyota S-FR sports car concept! The S-FR is a small, front-engined, rear-wheel drive coupe that will be positioned under the GT86 in Toyota’s new sports car lineup.

Inspired by the Toyota Sports 800 from the 1960s, the vehicle is expected to be lightweight and nimble, comparing favorably against the Scion FR-S and only slightly larger than the Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Just how small and light will the car be? The vehicle is expected to have a curb weight of only around 2,100 pounds and have excellent weight distribution due to the engine being mounted close to the cabin. This will do wonders for handling, as will the full independent rear suspension.

It should come as no surprise that few specifications are known at this point. However, previous rumors have suggested that the S-FR may come with a 1.5L 4-cylinder capable of approximately 130 horsepower. With a low curb weight and great responsiveness, it should be a blast to drive.

Stay tuned here at SFRforums.com for more details ahead of the vehicle’s expected global debut at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show which kicks off on October 29, 2015.

Updated with press release and dimensions:

Toyota S-FR (world premiere)
The Toyota S-FR is a concept vehicle that continues the proud heritage of Toyota's fun-to-drive lightweight sports cars. Pitched as an entry-level model, the new concept emphasizes responsiveness, and aims to make a whole new generation fall in love with driving.

Compact and Simple
The concept's compact body is incredibly light, yet offers a smooth driving style. Not just a sports car, it pairs the simplicity of an entry-level model with an intimacy that brings human and machine closer together.

Fun to Drive
Benefiting from the unique advantages of a lightweight sports car, the concept offers smooth, responsive and direct handling that gives a real sense of communication between car and driver―one key benefit of the FR (front engine/rear drive) format.

Sporty design
The concept's long nose and wide stance make for an archetypal sports car profile, while the familiar roundness of its frame inspires a feeling of closeness. The simple and modern finish of the interior rounds off a design that stresses approachable simplicity while conveying the vehicle's performance and sporty spirit.

The full-fledged FR layout gives the engine a front midship location. Optimal weight distribution and independent suspension make for outstanding cornering performance.
A six-speed manual transmission offers smooth acceleration, adding to the car's fun, responsive drive.
The Toyota S-FR was conceptualized as the kind of vehicle that attracts its own die-hard fan base, whose members love driving and customizing it.

http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62&d=1444301498

Callie
10-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Most importantly is it coming to US?

All the views look OK except that rear 3/4 view looks kinda toy car.

Panzer
10-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Man it's super bubbly. Was hoping it'd be a mini FR-S :( Only a concept for now though so maybe it'll change?

Mac
10-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Not sure about this cutesy styling but I guess if you want headroom in a car this small these proportions are kinda inevitable. Interior is badass though. Love the centerstack column.

Socalrider
10-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Man it's super bubbly. Was hoping it'd be a mini FR-S Only a concept for now though so maybe it'll change?

Everyone talking about how it looks... it's just a concept for now anyway. I care more about the specs and how it performs. Finally someone is building the car that nobody else dares to - something to compete against the Miata. While everyone else is building crossovers and larger cars it's refreshing to see Tada and Toyoda come thru on their promise to build sportier cars too.

Callie
10-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Everyone talking about how it looks... it's just a concept for now anyway. I care more about the specs and how it performs. Finally someone is building the car that nobody else dares to - something to compete against the Miata. While everyone else is building crossovers and larger cars it's refreshing to see Tada and Toyoda come thru on their promise to build sportier cars too.

Agree somewhat. The weight and weight distribution alone could make this a great handling car against the Miata. Just afraid they keep splitting an already dwindling sports car market of buyers and then the bean counters start pulling the plug on all these projects because they aren't selling enough of them to justify the costs.

DanJK
10-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Props to Toyota for having the balls to go after a 3 sports car strategy! I'm more interested in a Supra revival than this type of small coupe but I dig how different this looks. Bet you most ppl expected a small FRS instead of something completely different. That's how you grab people's attention.

Administrator
10-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Added the press release and dimensions:

Toyota S-FR (world premiere)
The Toyota S-FR is a concept vehicle that continues the proud heritage of Toyota's fun-to-drive lightweight sports cars. Pitched as an entry-level model, the new concept emphasizes responsiveness, and aims to make a whole new generation fall in love with driving.

Compact and Simple
The concept's compact body is incredibly light, yet offers a smooth driving style. Not just a sports car, it pairs the simplicity of an entry-level model with an intimacy that brings human and machine closer together.

Fun to Drive
Benefiting from the unique advantages of a lightweight sports car, the concept offers smooth, responsive and direct handling that gives a real sense of communication between car and driver―one key benefit of the FR (front engine/rear drive) format.

Sporty design
The concept's long nose and wide stance make for an archetypal sports car profile, while the familiar roundness of its frame inspires a feeling of closeness. The simple and modern finish of the interior rounds off a design that stresses approachable simplicity while conveying the vehicle's performance and sporty spirit.

The full-fledged FR layout gives the engine a front midship location. Optimal weight distribution and independent suspension make for outstanding cornering performance.
A six-speed manual transmission offers smooth acceleration, adding to the car's fun, responsive drive.
The Toyota S-FR was conceptualized as the kind of vehicle that attracts its own die-hard fan base, whose members love driving and customizing it.

Socalrider
10-08-2015, 02:56 AM
6 speed manual! Yessss

Matt W
10-08-2015, 04:21 AM
This looks really exciting. Hope it's available in the UK!

PZero
10-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Coming to U.S. or no?!

Car and Driver says it's set for production in 2016. :o

I could see it making production just like this. DOesn't have any crazy concept stuff that would make production unlikely.

shark_bait88
10-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I have a feeling if it comes to the US it will receive a slightly larger engine, much like the ND went from the European/Asian 1.5L w/ 129hp to a 2.0L w/ 155hp for the US.

If this thing handles 80% as well as an ND and costs less than an FR-S, it will be one hell of a buy. I'm definitely into it. If I'm thinking of giving something else a try in two years, I might just trade in the FR-S for one.

azian_advanced
10-08-2015, 08:21 AM
This would compliment my FR-S real nice.
FR-S for summer and the S-FR as a winter beater.

PZero
10-08-2015, 08:34 AM
This would compliment my FR-S real nice.
FR-S for summer and the S-FR as a winter beater.

That'd be quite a garage, but crazy tongue twister lol

Guff
10-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Man, all this crazy concept interior treatment and yet it still got the Toyota/Subaru parts bin Start Button! :P

Ichitaka05
10-08-2015, 08:55 AM
I smell Mazda... lol

But overall I love this design. It's cute!

Guff
10-08-2015, 09:16 AM
I smell Mazda... lol

But overall I love this design. It's cute!

It's so YotaHachi, lol, I love it.

Ichitaka05
10-08-2015, 09:20 AM
It's so YotaHachi, lol, I love it.

If they put Boxer engine, then yes, it'll be relived YotaHachi!!!!!!

shark_bait88
10-08-2015, 10:23 AM
If they put Boxer engine, then yes, it'll be relived YotaHachi!!!!!!

It sounds like the engine, in Europe/Asia at least, will be a 1.5L I4 with ~130hp. I'm betting that the US market would likely get something a little larger, 1.8-2.0L, like the ND did. Could quite possibly share an engine with the MX-5.

It would be kinda cool if it came with a boxer though, as more of a throwback to the Sports 800. I think they did a great job of styling it to look like a modern 800 though.

cyde01
10-08-2015, 12:24 PM
The FRS will always be my dream car, but being someone who can't afford one, this is perfect for me. If it's a 1.5L motor I just hope they will put something that is fun to rev, like the 4A-GE was. Being only 2160lbs is gonna make this thing a blast to drive.

shark_bait88
10-08-2015, 12:29 PM
The FRS will always be my dream car, but being someone who can't afford one, this is perfect for me. If it's a 1.5L motor I just hope they will put something that is fun to rev, like the 4A-GE was. Being only 2160lbs is gonna make this thing a blast to drive.

By the time these come out you could pick up a used FR-S for much less. I'd imagine these will start around $20k, and there are already plenty of used FR-S's available for under $18k.

Nonetheless, these will be a great option for someone looking to spend less than an FR-S on a brand-new car.

Ichitaka05
10-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Cyde, just sell your 86 & join the club...

24/7RamenClub lmao

cyde01
10-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah call me crazy but I didn't want to buy used, because it won't benefit Toyota. I really wanted to buy new so my money could prove to the bean counters at Toyota that it's worth it to make cars like these to enthusiasts.

shark_bait88
10-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Yeah call me crazy but I didn't want to buy used, because it won't benefit Toyota. I really wanted to buy new so my money could prove to the bean counters at Toyota that it's worth it to make cars like these to enthusiasts.

Fair enough. I like that take on it.

cyde01
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
What's up Ich! Already part of the cup 'o noodles club tho! lol

Ichitaka05
10-08-2015, 02:07 PM
What's up Ich! Already part of the cup 'o noodles club tho! lol

Lies! I saw you post bout buying new 86 wasn't it? ...or am I thinking of OldSchoolToy?

Neme303
10-08-2015, 06:34 PM

exactly my issue with buying used.

If I already had one I wouldn't mind buying a used one for Tracking, but as I can only afford a single car I want to buy New to support Toyota

carboy
10-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I want this car in 6MT and Red or White pearl. :o

cyde01
10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Lies! I saw you post bout buying new 86 wasn't it? ...or am I thinking of OldSchoolToy?

naw man, i wish. lol i'm already part of the cup o noodles club and i don't even have a new car! lookin for a new job, hopefully i'll be able to afford a better car then... -_-

Ichitaka05
10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
naw man, i wish. lol i'm already part of the cup o noodles club and i don't even have a new car! lookin for a new job, hopefully i'll be able to afford a better car then... -_-

I know that pain. I was in the same boat while back... hopefully you get new job and get FRS or this one :)

Captain Snooze
10-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Where's Tcoat and Ultramaroon? It sounds so quiet in here.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 01:52 PM

You rang? Quiet you say?

Ichitaka05
10-09-2015, 02:07 PM
You rang? Quiet you say?

I wish, this forum have "Like" or "Thumbs Up" button...

Tcoat, you made it here!

Asone
10-09-2015, 04:26 PM

Tcoat, you made it here!

I see "Like" button below each post. Was it just added now?

Captain Snooze
10-09-2015, 04:31 PM
I can't seem to find the Engine Swap thread.

Hoahao
10-09-2015, 06:35 PM
You rang? Quiet you say?

Well, there goes the neighborhood!! <:-)

Ultramaroon
10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
What about NOOOOWWW!

You rang? Quiet you say?
Uh oh, eh?

Tcoat, you made it here!
I need a "hug" button.

Tcoat
10-09-2015, 06:48 PM

Tcoat, you made it here!

Come on Ichi you are better than that. You haven't found it yet? I got to give you your first like! You are no longer a like virgin.

Ichitaka05
10-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Come on Ichi you are better than that. You haven't found it yet? I got to give you your first like! You are no longer a like virgin.

No~~~~~~~!!!!! lol

Vracer111
10-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I haven't seen it posted yet, but here's the 4 page 2015 Motor Show Press information PDF for the S-FR which has some things that haven't been mentioned yet. (I found this by accident from a thread on the Pistonheads forum):

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/download/9824682

Just look at that rear seat room on the last page! LOL

Ichitaka05
10-10-2015, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen it posted yet, but here's the 4 page 2015 Motor Show Press information PDF for the S-FR which has some things that haven't been mentioned yet. (I found this by accident from a thread on the Pistonheads forum):

Yeah, I saw that on FB group. Also it was in the kuruma GT mag one of reference site.

Yeah... Only reason it's 2+2 is cuz of insurance, I think

Neme303
10-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I saw that on FB group. Also it was in the kuruma GT mag one of reference site.

Yeah... Only reason it's 2+2 is cuz of insurance, I think

agreed, something they can win over Mazda, coupe, rear seats, easier insurance

Tectonic
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Cool find. I wonder if they will give any indication of power and performance at the Tokyo show. This looks like a presentation showing there so hopefully there is more to do it than what we see here.

Ichitaka05
10-12-2015, 09:32 AM
I know coupe chassis makes stiffer and lighter chassis than fastback... but I pray that it'll come in fastback.

Sarlacc
10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
I know coupe chassis makes stiffer and lighter chassis than fastback... but I pray that it'll come in fastback.

I wanna be hardcore and say function over convenience, but yeah... a fastback would be nice for all those grocery runs :-)

Ichitaka05
10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I wanna be hardcore and say function over convenience, but yeah... a fastback would be nice for all those grocery runs :-)

Lets face it, what so functional about this car anyways. You barely fit a person in there! lol

Nevermore
10-12-2015, 04:46 PM
I love me some fastback. It should stay fastback, or come fastback, whichever. I'd take out those back seats though...

cyde01
10-13-2015, 12:15 PM

not just grocery runs but spare tires when going to the track, car jacks, tools, etc.

Ichitaka05
10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
not just grocery runs but spare tires when going to the track, car jacks, tools, etc.

I've very unique feeling about this. A LOT of 86/BRZ owners claim that after they get the car, they gonna track... but in the end, they don't. I totally know how they feel. We're talking about +$20k brand new car avoiding the car to track it? I used to track my Impreza, but now, I'm just autox'ing instead (it's safer than track).

Even this car is <$20k, people will hesitate to track it. IMO

cyde01
10-13-2015, 02:53 PM
lol i could see that happening to me... still autox would be worth it to get this car.

Vracer111
10-13-2015, 02:58 PM
I would have tracked my FR-S a lot more than once if the Boxer motor didn't make the car so unreliable with all the issues it brought with it in this specific application... not a fan of the boxer motor generally, this the third car with one I've had experience with...I should have learned by now! LOL

Ichitaka05
10-14-2015, 11:11 AM
lol i could see that happening to me... still autox would be worth it to get this car.

Are you willing to cry & pray that it didn't dent your car every time you hit a cone? Cuz I can tell you, my BRZ do have several small lines of dent and scuff marks that's not gonna come out... from autox'ing. lol

Nevermore
10-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Are you willing to cry & pray that it didn't dent your car every time you hit a cone? Cuz I can tell you, my BRZ do have several small lines of dent and scuff marks that's not gonna come out... from autox'ing. lol

I've only been twice, but didn't hit a single cone either time. I was also second to last person every time too, though.

Ichitaka05
10-14-2015, 12:25 PM
I've only been twice, but didn't hit a single cone either time. I was also second to last person every time too, though.

Never been near last place... well maybe in my class (STX), but in overall I'm always in the mid or above mid.

Nevermore
10-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Never been near last place... well maybe in my class (STX), but in overall I'm always in the mid or above mid.

I was up against Porsches and little British sports cars that made our cars look like pigs, with my stock car on stock tires. It was a pretty tough field for a newbie.

I wonder if the S-FR being lighter would help it that much more around the cones in a stock setup.

Ichitaka05
10-14-2015, 04:18 PM
I was up against Porsches and little British sports cars that made our cars look like pigs, with my stock car on stock tires. It was a pretty tough field for a newbie.

I wonder if the S-FR being lighter would help it that much more around the cones in a stock setup.

Stock FRS beat my ass before. Funny & mind blowing one was Yaris w 200 tread tire sometimes beat me. Fit in STF sometimes get fastest raw time out of anyone here. We're talking bout <200hp best 500whp corvett, mustang, 911 & so on.

It's all bout who drives the car.

why?
10-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Stock FRS beat my ass before. Funny & mind blowing one was Yaris w 200 tread tire sometimes beat me. Fit in STF sometimes get fastest raw time out of anyone here. We're talking bout <200hp best 500whp corvett, mustang, 911 & so on.

It's all bout who drives the car.

when it comes to autocross it can be all about the course too. I've seen some autocross courses where a tiny car like the Yaris can handle it no problem, but larger Corvettes and muscle cars actually need to do 3 point turns in places. Kinda insane really but with cones sometimes courses can be too tight for all but the smallest.

Vracer111
10-14-2015, 06:20 PM
This vehicle right here I ran midfield in a group of about 300 drivers in sportscars and was fighting for 1st and 2nd with a late 80's civic hatcback and Hyundai S coupe in STF class (usually about 6 or so cars in the group) right before I stopped autocrossing it...

https://vracer111.smugmug.com/photos/i-rChvNZn/0/X2/i-rChvNZn-X2.jpg

I feel sorry for the Miata, S2000, WRX, BMW M3, Corvette, and other newbie drivers who must have been depressed being beat by near stock Tacoma....naaaaaa. LOL

Stock height extended cab that was fully function as a truck... nearly 122" wheelbase but not too wide....Weee HaaaaW! Staying far enough from the cones with the front to not hit them with the rear as it tracked in was the hardest part....

Ran it for 4 years and took an Evolution Phase I Autocross school with it as well...